Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Fudge Core

Okay wow. I promise, soon I'll review something other than B&J's.  I just really like their ice cream and I like them as a company. Their environmental and social policies are great. For example, their living wage policy is pretty cool. They have their own calculation for a living wage for their Vermont factory full-time employees. They made $16.13 an hour in 2013 (source: http://www.benjerry.com/values/how-we-do-business/livable-wages ). Pretty cool.

However, I learned something kind of sad about B&J's doing the research for this post. They used to have a policy that the highest paid employee couldn't make more than 5 times as much as the lowest paid employee. I like this policy better because it holds the company accountable on both ends of the spectrum, keeping people out of poverty and the 1%. Unfortunately they got rid of this policy in 1995. I don't know how I thought they still had it, lol.

Apparently the company had to abandon the policy because they were too popular and too big for Ben and Jerry to manage themselves anymore. In order to actually hire a chief executive with the abilities and experience to manage this fast growing company they had to pair the job offer with a salary comparable to others in the industry (source: http://articles.latimes.com/1995-02-05/magazine/tm-28412_1_ben-cohen ). I totally understand why they did this but it is still sad.

Well back to the ice cream. Peanut Butter Fudge Core is described as Chocolate & Peanut Butter Ice Creams with Mini Peanut Butter Cups & Peanut Butter Fudge Core.



Excitement level: high. I love peanut butter. I love chocolate. The two together make me gaga.

First few bites didn't taste that great. The fudge core was really thick, too thick it wasn't enjoyable and had some sort of weird taste that I can't identify. But the weird taste went away after a few bites. Maybe it was just all in my head.



Normally B&J's peanut butter cups are really huge and broken into chunks that are still huge. The little cups were fun. I really enjoyed the change. However, as with the other core flavors I have tried (the hazelnut and the caramel blondie), I honestly would have just preferred the flavor all swirled together as opposed to the core in the center. I actually had the hazelnut one all swirled together when I tried it at the scoop shopped and really loved it.  The fudges are just too thick to not be swirled.

But it was still peanut butter and chocolate. Good, but just not as amazing as I was expecting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd