Ben and Jerry's S'mores

When I stopped at Whole Foods not too long ago and bought the Three Twins flavor I also picked up Ben & Jerry's S'mores flavor. I haven't had it in a long time because the only place that sells it in STL is Whole Foods and I never go there. So I used this opportunity to grab a pint.

I've finished finals already aka I'M DONE WITH COLLEGE. So obv I used my free time to do research about Ben & Jerry's. Things I learned: Ben & Jerry's is owned by Unilever. Unilever bought B&J's 14 years ago, but 14 years ago I was 8 so this is news to me. I'm not terribly surprised that Ben & Jerry's isn't independent, but I kind of thought they might be. The story of the sale is pretty interesting. B&J's has been cast as the ultimate darling of independent social enterprise company. And some weird corporate law thingy forced them to sell out. "Oh dear, if B&J's can't survive, no one can!" was sort of the general lament. However, apparently there was no legal obligation for B&J's to sell, and that's just some sort of myth or misunderstanding of the situation. The board unanimously agreed to sell the company and both Ben and Jerry made a bunch of money from the sale. Which I don't think is bad, but both of them tried to make it seem like they had no choice in the matter. :( The article I'm getting all of this from, written by two legal scholars, also mentioned that some of the awesome social policies of B&J's went bye bye with the sale, but they don't mention what. Next time I review a B&J's flavor, I'll look into the matter more, so stay tuned.

Sauce: http://www.ssireview.org/articles/entry/the_truth_about_ben_and_jerrys

So ice cream: Chocolate Ice Cream with Fudge Chunks, Toasted Marshmallow & Graham Cracker Swirls.

I haven't had this flavor in ages, and I don't really remember what it is like, but I'm expecting it to be similar to Phish Food.

Yep the flavor is very similar to Phish Food. But honestly that's good because Phish Food is one of B&J's best flavors. The chocolate is the most prominent flavor, honestly more prominent than in Phish Food. I wasn't expecting this, but the toasted marshmallow swirl actually tasted toasted, which I'm not sure how they did (food science is magic and in another life I would go into that industry). However, the brownish color of the swirl was a bit disconcerting. You can't really tell how brown the swirl looks in this picture because of the very yellowish lighting and the color of my kitchen table, but srlsy I promise it is weird looking. It could have been whiter and that would have looked less odd. I also love the texture that the graham cracker swirls adds. It's grainy, which sounds like a bad thing, but it's really good with the moistness of the chocolate ice cream and the marshmallow swirl.

My expectations were met, and the flavor was good. But I would have liked the marshmallow and graham cracker to stand out a bit more from the chocolate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd