Haagen-Dazs Pomegranate Dark Chocolate Bars

I have been seeing the Haagen-Dazs Pomegranate Dark Chocolate Bars in the grocery stores since at least November or December of last year.  Every time I went to the grocery store I would stop and stare at these and think about bringing them home with me, but would inevitably decide to buy a pint of ice cream instead.  At one point I even took a picture to send to my boyfriend who loves everything pomegranate flavored.  Seriously, he has a problem.  Last week I finally picked up a box.  I figured since it was a limited edition I'd better do it before they went away forever.  Actually, these are not listed on the Haagen-Dazs website so they may not be making them anymore.  In that case GO OUT AND BUY ALL OF THEM YOU CAN FIND!  Either that or Haagen-Dazs hasn't updated their website in a really long time.  I did notice that there are new, supposedly permanent Haagen-Dazs gelato flavors not listed online. 



I'm not a huge ice cream bar fan for two reasons.  One: eating ice cream bars stresses me out.  This sounds stupid, but I'm always worried chunks of the chocolate shell are going to break off and fall on the floor.  Like, this really, really irrationally stresses me out.  Two: ice cream bars are inherently portion controlled.  I mean, come on, who is going to go eat two or three ice cream bars.  I would much rather open a pint of ice cream and mindlessly consume the entire thing in one sitting.  THIS IS 'MURICA AND YOU CAN'T TELL ME HOW MUCH I CAN OR CAN'T EAT!

Interesting factoid, Haagen-Dazs was named by its founder to be Danish sounding 'as a tribute to Denmark's exemplary treatment of its Jews during the Second World War,' but the name is not actually Danish.  Which is, ... weird and cool I guess. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haagen-Dazs).

These were actually really, really, really freaking good.  They are pomegranate ice cream covered in a dark chocolate shell with a dark chocolate drizzle.  While I was eating them some of the chocolate shell did break, but none fell on the floor.  The pomegranate ice cream was oh-my-god-amazing and I want Haagen-Dazs to make this a stand-alone flavor.  It was so dense and creamy and tart.  Often times the ice cream in ice cream bars is too hard (almost like there is extra water frozen into ice) to preserve the structural integrity of the bar or too soft and the bar falls apart (I'm looking at you Klondike!)  It was also slightly sorbet-like.  The chocolate coating was high quality, delicious dark chocolate.



You can't really see it in this picture, but the pomegranate ice cream is a seriously amazing pinky-purpley-mauvey color.

On my first bite I felt like the strong dark chocolate flavor overpowered the more delicate pomegranate flavor, but I found that if you take a bite and hold it in your mouth you would taste the pomegranate ice cream with just a hint of chocolate while the ice cream melted, and then you could crunch down on the chocolate coating.  Is that weird and gross and TMI?

My only complaint about these was the size.  These come three to a box are somewhat on the small side (maybe 4 inches not including the stick).  They were so good, but over so quickly.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd