Ben & Jerry's That's My Jam Core

This was the core flavor that I was most skeptical about. Not that I don't love raspberries or jam or chocolate or anything, but I just didn't know how I felt about jam in my ice cream.

But a detour about B&J's first. So the core flavors were the first flavors to be both Fair Trade Certified and non-GMO. The fair trade part is super cool and I'm all about it. Maybe I'll talk more about another post. But today I want to talk about GMOs. Ben & Jerry's generally has an anti-GMO stance and is pro the mandatory labeling of GMOs (http://www.benjerry.com/values/issues-we-care-about/our-stance-on-gmo and http://www.benjerry.com/values/issues-we-care-about/our-stance-on-gmo/our-non-gmo-standards). Now I can be down with mandatory labeling. It doesn't hurt people to know what they are eating. Maybe it would confuse some people and some people would stop buying GMOs for the wrong reasons, but I still support the labeling movement. But I'm not as anti-GMO as B&J's. They take a pretty strong stance against rBGH, which I agree with. It hurts cows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin#Animal_health). It increases the risk of mastitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastitis), which basically means infections and abscesses in the cows udders, and it increases the risk of lameness. :((( However, the health impacts on humans of rBGH aren't really clear, if there are any. Other GMO issues, I'm not as sure about, mostly because I haven't researched them. Maybe another day.

Now ice cream. That's My Jam is described as Chocolate & Raspberry Ice Creams with Fudge Chips & a Raspberry Core.

Excitement level: Mehhh

H'okay. Wow. This was good. My roommate, Bronwyn, said this was the best core flavor and I was skeptical. She is right. Honestly, another part of my skepticism was just that Ben & Jerry's doesn't usually do stuff as classy as raspberries. They go for the "I'm a five year old and I want candy in my ice cream." I didn't know if they could pull it off. They did. The chocolate ice cream was their standard, very good. I've had tangier raspberry ice creams, but the sweetness of the raspberry ice cream was balanced by the tangy jam core. The jam wasn't overly mushy or gloppy. The fudge chunks were perfect (honestly if B&J's released just raspberry ice cream with fudge chunks I think it would be a hit).

This guy definitely exceeded my excitement level.

Also yes I use Wikipedia. The reason I do is because often they cite reliable sources. And in these cases they did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd