Kemps Frozen Yogurt Shop Cinnamon Spice Cookie

While I patiently (Ok, honestly, not so patiently) wait for new 2017 flavors to arrive I decided to make my way through some frozen yogurts that I missed last year.  When it comes to grocery store frozen yogurt, Kemps is the hands-down champion.  Their frozen yogurt is rich and creamy and more like ice cream than yogurt you would find at a shop.

I'm obsessed with all things speculoos, so I grabbed Kemps Frozen Yogurt Shop Cinnamon Spice Cookie, described as

Caramel frozen yogurt with a caramel swirl and spiced cookie pieces topped with cinnamon chips.



Kemps tweeted about this flavor in May, billing it as a new flavor, but I don't currently see it listed on their website.  Hopefully they didn't take this product away after only 6 months!

I love the Frozen Yogurt Shop line.  I think too many frozen yogurt lines try to appel to the 'health dessert' sector of the market so not enough of them are super chunky, and I'm glad Kemps pounced on the opportunity to fill that niche.


The caramel base was a very light caramel.  In fact, I didn't read the description until after I finished the entire container, and didn't realize it was caramel.  Now that I know it was caramel, thinking back I could definitely tell it was caramel.  It rounded out the flavor of the caramel cookie and cinnamon chips where a plain or vanilla fro-yo would have flattened these flavors.

The caramel swirl complemented the base quite well.  It was a very sweet caramel with a hint of salt to keep it balanced.  Since the base and the swirl were both sweet and light, as opposed to dark and rich, they complemented each other.  I don't always like a light base and a dark swirl (or vice versa) because it often feels to complicated or too overwhelmingly caramel-flavored.


The cookie pieces were small and absorbed the base, so they didn't add much textural variation, and this also made the taste blend with the base. I would have preferred a true, light and crunchy speculoos.  The cinnamon chips stood out in a negative way, and a stronger cookie mix-in would have balanced the base and cinnamon chips.

I'm not a fan of cinnamon chips.  I've never had any that weren't weird, waxy monstrosities, and unfortunately, Kemps cinnamon chips followed this pattern.  They were large (quarter-inch) flakes.  I liked addition of a strong cinnamon flavor, but the waxy/crunchy texture of the cinnamon chips was detrimental.

I'm giving this šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones.  With cookie crumbles instead of cinnamon chips as a topping this would be an easy 3-coner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd