Haagen-Dazs Destination Series Brownies á la Mode

I'm currently in this weird in-between place with ice cream. I never caught up with all the new ice cream that came out in 2016 because I was working my way through the NOLA ice cream, but the new ice cream for 2017 haven't hit the shelves yet, or even been announced as far as I know. Not that I'm going to have time to go back and review everything I missed from 2016, but while there is a lull in the ice cream world, I'm at least going to try.



The brownies á la mode flavor was probably the least "exotic" of the destination series. It is inspired by Chicago and the description is Savor a special collection of new flavors inspired by some of the world's most popular travel destinations. Like Chicago (the birthplace of the brownie) our Brownies á la Mode is rich with flavor. We combine our signature vanilla ice cream with rich fudge and decadent brownie pieces, to bring this American original to life. 



A quick history lesson about the brownie. The version of the brownie first invented in Chicago in 1893 may have been very unlike what we know the brownie to be today; it was much more cake like. Thus, some claim the first brownie like what we eat today was invented in Bangor, Maine, possibly invented by an unknown housewife or by food columnist Mildred Brown Schrumpf. However, the first one in Chicago was served with walnuts and an apricot glaze, so yum.



But lets jump back to modern times. I was most impressed with the vanilla base in this flavor. It could have easily gotten overwhelmed by all of the chocolate elements, but it really held it's own. It wasn't overwhelming or artificial tasting, but you could taste a solid vanilla flavor throughout the container. This gave a nice balance to the chocolate and overall was a great plus to the pint. The fudge was the next best part. It was very rich and had a thick, viscous texture. It was the kind of fudge swirl that would make you smack your lips when you got a big bite, because it would stick to the roof of your mouth. There was tons of it, and it was even so thick it looked like brownie chunks at times. The brownies weren't bad, but they could have been a touch better. They were mostly smaller chunks, and a medium number of them. They were incredibly moist and had a superb flavor. In general, I liked the smaller chunks because of how they blended with the fudge, but a couple of big, huge chunks would have been a fun way to mix things up.



Overall, this flavor got some flat reviews from others, including Madeline. People didn't like that the fudge was more of a player than the brownies. I think, one, my pint had more brownies than Madeline's, just from looking at pictures. Two I really did enjoy the fudge. While yes, this wasn't the best flavor, I can't think of anything similar out there that is better to be honest. If you can think of a better brownies and vanilla flavor on the market, please inform me! I'll give this 🍦🍦.5/4 cones. I probably wouldn't buy it again, mostly because there are other destination series flavors that are much better, but I still thought this one was pretty good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd