Purely Decadent Dairy Free Peanut Butter Zig Zag

EVERYBODY GET EXCITED!! First vegan ice cream review of the blog!!! This is for you Bronwyn, I hope you're reading. If you not I guess that shows you don't really care about my important life endeavors.

So first a story. I really wanted Trader Joe's baked tofu because its the best thing ever. So I went to TJs to do most of my shopping, but TJ's doesn't have a good non dairy ice cream selection. Like seriously their vanilla soy milk ice cream just tastes like soy ice cream with an after taste of vanilla. Which maybe that's you jam, but ehhh not mine. So I stopped by Schnucks' after I went to TJs to get some good non dairy ice cream. I don't shop at Schnucks' often, so I went to where the non dairy ice cream usually is, by the normal ice cream. Like, where it should be.  But it WASN'T THERE. The only non dairy thing was some sorbet, which is not what I was looking for. I paced up and down and up and down the ice cream isle for like 15 minutes and some Schnucks' worker, instead offering to help me, just looked at me like I was a crazy loon. Which I may be. I finally resorted to wandering around the entire frozen section and found the non dairy ice cream secluded in the back corner with the frozen "organic" foods which like, wut is that?  Ice cream is ice cream so why are we discriminating against the non dairy kind and segregating our ice creams. Whatever Schnucks', be oppressive. Uphold the dairy-archy.


Okay so the ice cream: Peanut Butter Zig Zag. Peanut butter swirl and chocolate flakes blended in a chocolate dairy free frozen dessert.

(Also say hello my compy!!)


First, the base of this ice cream is soy milk. 

I was expecting the peanut butter swirl to be like swirl in the similar Häagen-Dazs flavor. But it isn't. It is kinda crumbly, which I didn't like the first few bites. But as I noticed the chocolate flakes more I realized if the swirl were more solid it would contrast too much with the very small chocolate flakes.  The texture of the ice cream itself is really good and you can hardly tell it's non-dairy. However, the peanut butter swirl and chocolate flakes are not very evenly distributed throughout the ice cream, and the spots without much swirl or flake have that kind of soy milky after taste.  

All in all a pretty good flavor. Rich and definitely decadent. What makes this flavor even better is that is difficult to find really sinful tasting vegan desserts because they are catering to health nuts. But not all vegans are health nuts and some people want to have their vegan cake (or icecream) and actually have it taste good, too. And eat it.

Comments

  1. So, is the dessert world dairy-normative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trader Joes also makes a Chocolate Cherry soy ice cream: http://blog.kitchology.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/70956-soy-creamy-cherry.png

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really like cherry ice creams that much (ex. I think B&J's Cherry Garcia is gross) so I've never tried it. If you really like maybe I will give it a try.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd