Haagen Dazs Strawberry

Strawberry ice cream is one of my favorite ice cream flavors, but only if it is done well.  It is also one of what I think of as the 'Big 3' ice cream flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry.  There are two main things I look for in a strawberry ice cream.

1) The flavor of the base strawberry ice cream.  Ideally this should taste like strawberries and cream.  I do not like fruit flavored ice creams that try to disguise the fact that they are a dairy-based dessert.  Dairy and fruit can pair well together if done right, and strawberry is one of the easiest fruits to do this with.

On this front Haagen Dazs delivered.  The ice cream was perfectly creamy and smooth.  I could taste the strawberry and I could taste the cream and it was wonderful.

2) The fruit pieces.  Ideally these should be be big, juicy, chewy chunks.  Also, I should be able to readily identify them as actual pieces of strawberry.

On this front Haagen Dazs failed miserably.  The 'strawberry' chunks were small and pulled apart too easily.  I could slide my spoon right through them.  If done right, you should have to dig your way around a strawberry chunk.  Although they were the right color, the chunks weren't big enough to show dimples or really look like a strawberry in any way.  I also couldn't really distinguish their flavor from the flavor of the ice cream.  Ideally the strawberry chunks should be a little bit tarter than the surrounding ice cream.

I did not realize how shitty this picture was.  I really
need to buy a new battery for my camera.

This ice cream was ok.  The high quality of the strawberry ice cream saved it from being a total failure, but the strawberry chunks were seriously sub-par.  If you are a strawberry ice cream aficionado like myself, don't waste your money.  If you're just looking for a decent strawberry ice cream this is definitely not the worst you can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd