Jilly's Cupcake Bar Ice Cream Cuban Coffee

Those of you from St. Louis reading this blog are probably going, "WTF?!?!?!" right about now. Jilly's cupcakes is the premier cupcake place in St. Louis...or Ladue... Their address says St. Louis, but they are close enough to Ladue and the prices of their cupcakes scream "We are catering to rich Ladue and Clayton residents that want to spend too much money on cupcakes!!!" We're talking ~$4.75 a pop. But then again, these babies might just be worth it (and for my Wash U readers, they take bear's bucks!). They are HUGE and the frosting is piled high. There is also some sort of filling, like creme, or jelly, or chocolate, or caramel, in the middle, too. Seriously, these things are great. In fact so great that Jilly's cupcakes won Food Network's Cupcake Wars TWICE!
This is the Cuban Coffee cupcake. Description: Cake: Coffee Chip -- Filling: Coffee Dulce de Leche -- Topping: Espresso Swirl Buttercream, Café con Leche Crunch, Sweet Cuban Coffee Syrup Pipette.
Yes a pipette. In a cupcake.

I love ice cream and I love cupcakes, especially Jilly's cupcakes, so I just about squealed with joy when I saw this gem in the freezer. Then I groaned when I saw the price, $5.99. Not the most expensive pint of ice cream, but definitely priced in good Ladue fashion. However, my new mantra: this is the life I have chosen.

The ice cream: Cuban Coffee Ice Cream with Jilly's Coffee Chip Cake Morsels, Dark Chocolate Shavings, Swirls of Espresso Buttercream & Toffee Dulche de Leche.
I got a little excited and ate, like, all of it before remembering to take a picture.

Wow that's a long description. This ice cream is based off of their cupcake of the same name. My expectations were pretty high. Like really high. And to be honest, I was a teeny bit disappointed. Like don't get me wrong, this is good ice cream. But I've had coffee ice cream that had a stronger coffee flavor. Also there was way too much going on. I think take out the Toffee Dulche de Leche and this would be AMAZING, but really there were so many flavors it was overwhelming. Also the cake chunks weren't what I expected. They were spongey at all and were just smooth and melted in my mouth. There were really good but didn't really remind me of cake at all.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd