Archer Farms Spiced Blueberry Crumble Gelato

Cardamom.  Oh, cardamom, how I love thee.  I will seriously buy anything with cardamom in it.  For a while last fall Starbucks was making a Vanilla Cardamom Latte and I bought SO many of them and I don't even really like Starbucks.

My favorite way to make blueberry pie is to make the normal filling and then add cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom, so when when I saw 'Spiced Berry Crumble Gelato infused with cardamom flavor' at Target I knew I was bringing that guy home with me.  I paid $4.99 for 30 Fl Oz (a pint is 16 Fl Oz), so this was cheaper ice cream than a B&J or H-D pint.



Archer Farms is a (generally pretty yummy) Target brand.  Per the container:

Sometimes the best things in life are the simplest, Gelato, Italian ice cream, is hard to resist.  Imported from Italy, Archer Farms Spiced Berry Crumble Gelato is made with alternating dollops of berry-flavored gelato and cardamom-flavored gelato.  A ribbon of berry sauce runs throughout the checkerboard of flavor and then, it's topped with pieces of pie crust.  Sound simply spectacular?  We couldn't agree more.

This gelato wasn't BAD it just wasn't that great either.

Things I like:
1) I really like the container.  This came in a shallow, plastic tub with a snap on lid.  I broke the lid when I was opening (because I am dumb, not because it was particularly hard to open), but if I hadn't this would have been a nice reusable container.  BONUS!

2) It was really pretty.  There were white and purple-y swirls of gelato topped by crumbles.



3) The texture.  When I scooped this out of the container it pulled a little bit like how gelato from a scoop shop pulls when it is scooped.

4) The crumbles.  The crumbles were soft and chewy, but not too chewy.



Things that were not so great:
1) The taste.  I think the key word in the description of this gelato was cardamom flavor.  I looked at the ingredients, and ground cardamom is listed, but this sure didn't taste like cardamom or any other recognizable 'spice.'  The 'spice' flavor was really overpowering and the gelato almost tasted chemical-y.  The first bite was way too intense, but by the third or fourth bite it had mellowed out a bit and was somewhat enjoyable.

Overall I thought this gelato was kind of mediocre.  That may be because I was seriously SO SO SO excited to try it, and it was a bit of a let down.  It wasn't so bad that I will swear off trying Archer Farms gelato in the future.  I may have to pick up a different flavor just so I have a nice tupperware when I finish with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd