Scrumptious Ice Cream

Sometimes ice cream bloggers disappear into the wilderness aka go on backpacking trips. And like a bear preparing for hibernation, said ice cream bloggers eat a lot of ice cream in preparation. However, then they are left in a lurch with a lot of ice cream to review and no way to write the reviews. So prepare yourselves for an onslaught of reviews in the next couple of days.

Unfortunately I was not able to visit my grandparents when Madeline and my dad did. I got multiple text messages about the delicious sounding ice cream they were eating and I was quite jealous. However, my turn to get ice cream at Scrumptious came, and obviously I had to out do Madeline. So I got ice cream from Scrumptious twice in two days. Ha.

The first day I was hoping for the blueberry pancake flavor Madeline reviewed because maple syrup. However, it was not on the menu. Sad day. However, a flavor I've never seen another ice cream shop or company attempt before was on the menu, Tootsie Roll.

The first aspect of the ice cream I noticed was the color. It was the sort of not quite brown color not found in nature. Only in the fake chocolate of Tootsie Rolls.

This was the small size. Luckily for you weak ice cream eaters that can't handle this much ice cream, they do have a kiddie size.


The taste was also the same fake chocolate taste of Tootsie Rolls that is still one of the most lovable flavors in existence. They hit the flavor of Tootsie Rolls spot on. The one difference between this ice cream and the flavor of actual Tootsie Rolls was, obviously, the ice cream tasted creamy in addition to the fake ice cream flavor.

The flavor I got the second days was orange chocolate. Or maybe they called it chocolate orange. I don't remember, but who cares anyway?



Overall this flavor was mellower, milder, and rounder than I expected. The chocolate was on the darker side, but still with milkiness. The chocolate was also more prominent than the orange. There was a hint of orange flavor in the chocolate.  I like the stronger orange flavor in Three Twins version of this flavor much better.

The second day I got ice cream at Scrumptious, I was there with Brett and my grandparents. A man, who I assume was one of the owners of the shop, was chit chatting with us about the ice cream. I think the conversation was prompted by someone making a comment about how cheap the ice cream is given how much you get. The guy basically said their dairy supplier is constantly surprised they manage to make a profit given how little air they put in their ice cream. Of course I was like, excuse me while I push my glasses up my nose and get ice cream nerdy on you, what is you overrun? The guy said their ice cream is 5% air, which translates to a 10% overrun. Well now I'm dropping my imaginary nerd glasses on the floor in shock. I've never heard of ice cream with that low of overrun.

And you can definitely tell there is not much air in this ice cream. It is super creamy, thick, and dense. You can look at a serving and think, I can totally eat this much ice cream, and then be stopped in your tracks full with 5 bites left. Unless you are a champ like me.

If you are ever in the Denver area, Scrumptious Ice Cream is definitely worth the trek out the the burbs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd