Gannon's Isle Ice Cream

My summer of ice cream adventures continues and I get to put another state on the list of state's from which I have tried ice cream. Right now, I am visiting my mother's family in the Syracuse, New York area. Two days ago we visited Gannon's Isle Ice Cream.

The place was pretty overwhelming. First, it was busy, granted not anything Ted Drewes level. Second, there menu was overwhelming. Most ice cream shops take only one of a couple different approaches. A place like Ted Drewes has limited base flavors but lots of toppings, candies, and combinations to make great concoctions. Another approach, a place like Izzy's, has LOTS OF FLAVORS, and if they even offer any toppings or sundaes, who cares and they aren't important menu offerings. Another approach I have encountered recently is like Clementine's. They rotate through a lot of flavors, but only have a few available at a time, they are super classy and have some super classy sundae toppings. Gannon's, on the other hand, combined the first two approaches. They had A LOT of flavor offerings and a lot of toppings for tons of combinations and it was OVERWHELMING.



At first, I saw a flavor called Sea Salt. I got super excited thinking it was a salt only flavored ice cream. However, when I asked, I found out it was another sea salt caramel ice cream. Boring. And I was not in the mood. Instead, I got a flavor called Chocolate Bavarian Torte because I didn't know what a Chocolate Bavarian Torte was and I thought it would be fun to research.

Before I go on to tell you what Chocolate Bavarian Torte is, I am going to tell you about the ice cream I had.



It was a chocolate base with a caramel swirl and little fudge chunks. The chocolate base was a standard, but rich milk chocolate. The caramel swirl was thick, gooey and sweet. There was a lot of it, but not so much you couldn't get a bite of the ice cream without it once in a while. The fudge chunks were small, about the size of a Tic Tac. They were soft and rich. They were so soft and rich they almost reminded me a flourless chocolate cake. They came in the ice cream in little clusters; three or four in a bunch. You would happen upon a cluster about every other bite.



Now, what exactly is a Chocolate Bavarian Torte? Well a torte is a usually multilayer cake filled with something. The cake itself is often made with little or no flour. On the Wikipedia page for torte there is a list of well know European tortes. There is only one on the list that is Bavarian. It's name is Prinzregententorte. Fabulous. This torte is usually six or seven layers of sponge cake with chocolate buttercream in between. The cake is topped with apricot jam and a dark chocolate glaze. So basically Prinzregententorte is nothing like this ice cream. When you Google search chocolate Bavarian torte, you get recipes for a torte with layers chocolate cake and buttercream in between. So I have no idea what Gannon's is going for here with this ice cream, but it was good.

Gannon's had the best decor. Is this guy creepy or what?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd