Little Man Ice Cream

If you read my last blog post you might think I died from hunger while on my recent backpacking trip. You might think, Lizzy! You backpacked for 5 days and only prepared with 2 day of ice cream, are you okay?!

Don't worry friends. In addition to going to Scrumptious Ice Cream in Arvada two days in a row, Brett and I ate at Little Man Ice Cream in Denver two days in a row, as well. The first day we were there we, honest to goodness, had no intentions of getting ice cream. We were planning on seeing a Rockies game. But then it was raining a lot as the game would be started, and we were not invested enough in a Rockies vs. Braves game to sit in the rain for hours. Obviously, the next best option would be to get ice cream, because rain should have no impact on ice cream eating, right? Well only if the ice cream you are planning on eating is indoors. Little Man, however, only has outdoor seating. Oh, the lengths I will go to in order to get ice cream.



A year ago, I think, my friend Bronwyn ate at Little Man Ice Cream and ordered the Salted Oreo flavor. She later raved to me about it. When I saw it on the menu that rainy night, it was my own little metaphorical ray of sun shine.

The salted Oreo is on the bottom and Brett's Mocha Chip is on top.


Basically this flavor is like any other excellent cookies and cream flavor, but with salt added. A lot of salt. A lot a lot of salt. The saltiness of this ice cream flirts with the line to too salty but doesn't cross over. It was awesome. Who knew a cookies and cream ice cream would work so well with salt? Little Man, obviously. The mellow chocolate flavor of chocolate cookies and the creamy vanilla base provide the perfect balance to the salt. I would say this flavor is saltier than a lot of salted caramel flavors out there. However, a lot of salted caramel flavors get overwhelmingly salty because I don't think a lot of these dark, complex, caramel flavors are antithetical enough to salt to balance it out as well as cookies and cream does. Move over, salted caramel, salted Oreo is here!



The vanilla base of this flavor was simple and sweet, which I have said, was the perfect foil to the salt. The cookie chunks were huge; big enough to include the creme middle in the chunks. They were also soft all the way through without being soggy or falling apart. Perfection. If you aren't in Denver, I recommend you travel there immediately or at least go buy Oreos and put salt on them.

The next day, everyone else who was going on the backpacking trip made it into Denver. We had dinner at a restaurant next door to Little Man, so of course afterward, everyone wanted to get ice cream. I was not going to object. After not filling my maple syrup ice cream craving at Scrumptious Ice Cream, I knew I had to order the french toast ice cream on the menu.



Unfortunately, this french toast ice cream was not maple syrupy. Instead, it was on the cinnamon side of the french toast spectrum. Disclaimer: this ice cream was not bad, in fact it was great; I was only expecting something completely different.

The base of this flavor was cinnamon sugary and strong. The way this ice cream gets off on calling itself French Toast is the mix-in. After eating the first one, it did not occur to me what I had eaten. I got a pretty clear view of the second one before I ate it. Then it dawned on me what it was. At first, I thought it was a short bread piece or something along those lines. But the truth was so much better; the mix-ins were Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal pieces!



There weren't a ton of them; you wouldn't necessarily get one each bite. They also maintained their crunch surprisingly well. Overall, this was a fun, sweet, and simple flavor, despite not being what I expected it to be.


Last note, obviously Little Man donates rice and beans when you buy ice cream, but the sign is so worn down you can't see exactly. However, this is why the internet exists. According to the Little Man website for every scoop of ice cream sold, they donate a scoop (I have no idea how much that is) of rice or beans to people in the developing world.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd