Prairie Farms Mint Moose Tracks

PEPPERMINT IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON.  There are even carols about it.  Take, for example, the Irving Berlin classic "I'm Dreaming of a White (Chocolate Peppermint Bark) Christmas." The grocery stores in Minneapolis do not seem to fully appreciate the importance of seasonal peppermint flavors.  Christmas, the traditional peak of peppermint season, has past with nary a pint of peppermint ice cream in sight.

Lizzy and I are currently home in St. Louis for the holidays, and luckily our dad had the next best thing, Prairie Farms Mint Moose Tracks ice cream.  There's not an official description, but it is a mint base with thick swirls of Moose Tracks fudge and chocolate mint cups.

Prairie Farms (I keep wanting to type Purina Farms, which is a different thing entirely) is a generally solid brand of premium ice cream so I was expecting to like but not love this ice cream, and boy was I wrong! This moved into my top three favorite mint flavors of all time.



The mint base was your typical, obnoxious green that companies, for some unknown reason, decide they need to dye their mint ice cream.  It was, if possible, even more obnoxiously green than other brands, but this is my only criticism of the flavor.  The base was flavored with peppermint oil.  The peppermint flavor was strong but not overpowering or too bright. As Goldilocks would say, it was "Juuuuuuuuust right."

The Moose Tracks fudge was typical Moose Tracks fudge.  If you've never had it, it's soft enough that you don't have to crunch through it, salty enough to provide a counterpoint to the rich chocolate, but not so salty that I would classify it as a 'salted chocolate' fudge.  The swirls were thick and prominent and the richness and warmth complemented the cool peppermint base.


The chocolate mint cups reminded me of Andes mints in miniature cup form.  They added an extra pop of cool peppermint flavor to the base. I got one every three to four bites and could have done with a few more!

This gets 🍦🍦🍦🍦/4 cones from me!

Lizzy here. When Madeline told me she picked up a mint Moose Tracks flavor, I thought I'd already reviewed it. A while ago, I reviewed a Sam's Choice Mint Bark Moose Tracks, that is actually very similar to this. However, what she had was Prairie Farms, so I was interested to see how the two compared.


I agree with Madeline on just about everything she wrote. However, I thought the base was bordering on sickly sweet flavored and I was also turned off by the color. The fudge was great and there was lots of it, which did a good job tempering the base. The mint cups were pretty bomb. They were incredibly strongly flavored, and reminded me more of York Peppermint Patties than Andes Mints. They were so strongly minty flavored they were almost tangy, if that is possible. They stole show. However, there were just not enough of them for my taste. I really wanted more. All in all, Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Peppermint Crunch is still probably my favorite mint flavor. (I reviewed that before the cone rating system, but I'm thinking that would get 4 cones). However, this flavor was better than the Sam's Choice version. I'll give this flavor 🍦🍦🍦/4 cones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd