Blue Bunny Super Chunky Cookie Dough

It's just a flesh wound! Aka, finals clearly beat me and Madeline up pretty hard, but we barely didn't die. Now prepare for an onslaught of catch up posts over the next few days. Quite a while ago I tried this Blue Bunny flavor, and in the car driving home to St. Louis, I discovered Madeline tried it recently, as well. So we decided to write a joint review.



Many moons ago, two years ago, to be exact, I had the best cookie dough flavor I ever had in my life. The flavor was 2nd Street Creamery's Can't Tell Me No! Cookie Dough. This pint had cookie dough flavored ice cream, a cookie dough swirl, and two kinds of cookie dough chunks. Not long after I discovered this brand, 2nd Street Creamery went out of business. I died a little on the inside because I would never have this cookie dough flavor again, which I think I will say is my favorite ice cream ever. Tears. (Madeline's note: I'm still in mourning for 2nd Street Creamery. The ice cream gods are cruel and capricious.)



But, when I saw the description of this Blue Bunny flavor, I was excited because it is similar to that old 2nd Street flavor! The description reads Cookie dough ice cream, cookie dough and chocolate chunks, cookie dough batter. 




I'll start with the base. This base definitely tasted like cookie dough, mostly of vanilla with that hint of brown sugary-ness. Overall the flavor of the base was on the lighter side, which was good, because there was enough cookie dough-ness in the rest of the flavor. The cookie dough chunks were good. Kind of on the small side, but there were lots of them. Just about one per bite, and lots of very sweet chocolate chunks too. The swirl of cookie dough batter is the element I have the most to say about, and not necessarily all good. Like why is it a cookie dough batter swirl and not just a cookie dough swirl? It kind of tasted overly sweet and a bit artificial. It also had an odd texture. It was a bit goopy and gummy. The ice cream definitely needed the umph of the swirl, but it just wasn't that well executed. Overall, I enjoyed this flavor and I'm glad there's another loaded-with-cookie-dough flavor on the market, but I will still miss the 2nd Street flavor. šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 (That third cone is mostly because I am such a lover of cookie dough).

Madeline: I've really loved Blue Bunny's recent seasonal/limited-edition flavors, but have been slightly underwhelmed by their main line.  The limited editions tend to have strong flavors and abundant mix-ins, and I after reading the title and description of Super Chunky Cookie Dough, I hoped it would fit into the limited-edition mold.

The base was quite light, and if I hadn't read the description I would have guessed it was a vanilla base, rather than a cookie dough.  This would have worked well for a cookie dough flavor with a strong mix-in game, but alas, Super Chunky Cookie Dough was not that cookie dough.


Lizzy said her cookie dough chunks were small, but mine were pretty large, so they're variable from container to container.  The chunks didn't really taste like cookie dough.  When I think cookie dough, I think a grainy, eggy, buttery sweetness.  The chunks were too much like gooey cookies and not enough like cookie dough.

And last but not least, the swirl was also disappointing. SAD FACE TIMES 1 BILLION! The swirl was the texture of a very eggy cookie dough, and would have been absolute perfection had it also tasted like a very eggy cookie dough.  Alas, it was also kind of bland.  Because it was bland, the texture came across as slightly unpleasant.  I mean .... bland goop.  Yum.

I'm giving Super Chunky Cookie Dough šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones.  I mostly touched on the negatives in my review, but it wasn't a completely unpalatable flavor, just generally lacking in flavor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd