Arctic Island

For Thanksgiving break, Madeline and I visited our family that lives outside of Syracuse, NY. Other than all the fun of seeing family, we were quite excited to go to some local ice cream shops, as Madeline had never really gotten a good taste of the ice cream scene in the area. A lot of the shops around were closed for the season, but luckily Arctic Island, which has delicious ice cream, is open all year long!

We went to get ice cream on Black Friday. I usually try to resist the onslaught of season flavors until the last second (they always overwhelm me), but it is now officially peppermint season, there is no denying it. I also would actually be down with it being peppermint season all year long, which I can not say about the flavors of other seasons (I'm looking at you pumpkin). Thus, I decided to start the holiday season with some Peppermint Candy ice cream!



One note before I describe the flavor, this ice cream shop is a great value. That is a small cup. Look how much ice cream you get! When I was served my ice cream, I saw the red and green and expected a sweet peppermint base with peppermint hard candy bits. Which is essentially what I got. The peppermint base wasn't very minty, and it was quite sweet. It had that sugary, syrupy quality from the hard candy bits mixed in. However, this flavor was definitely more exciting than the standard peppermint candy flavor you would get from the store. Why? Because there were dark chocolate chunks! They were amazing. They were dark and smooth and brittle. There weren't a ton of them and they were small, but they took this yummy and fun flavor up a notch. You usually don't see chocolate with this style of mint, and they should definitely go together more often. 🍦🍦🍦/4 cones for making a more exciting version of this traditional flavor.

Madeline: Oh my god you guys, I think this is the most ridiculous end-of-semester I've ever had.  It's have finals, projects, etc... nothing really out of the ordinary, but I have NOT been on top of my shit.  It's been weeks since Thanksgiving and I'm just now (December 19) writing this review, and I haven't written a review of my own since November 22. Things are finally wrapping up so it's back to ice cream and reviews and fun stuff and having a life, hurrah!

Broadway Coffee and Artic Island is a super cute cafe/coffee shop/ice cream parlor.  I could literally spend all day there - you've got your coffee, your lunch, and your ice cream for dessert!

As Thanksgiving is the official end of pumpkin season and official beginning of peppermint season, I decided to take my last possible opportunity to have pumpkin ice cream and ordered Pumpkin Oreo.

The ice cream was a bit icy and hard.  I don't know if it was an older flavor or melted a bit and refroze, but the texture was disappointing.  My sister, mom, and aunt didn't seem to have this problem with their flavors, so I suspect it was an issue with Pumpkin Oreo rather than an issue with Arctic Island ice cream texture in general.



The pumpkin flavor was light - almost like a cross between a butternut squash and a pumpkin.  This is a unique take on pumpkin that I greatly enjoyed.  Unfortunately the texture made it hard to pick up on the flavor.


So, ok.  The rest of the world needs to pick up on the pumpkin/Oreo trend.  Oh my god, this is too good to be confined to New York State.  I'm not usually a fan of the pumpkin/chocolate combo, but the non-intense, dry chocolate of the cookie supported the pumpkin and the cream pulled everything together.  I think the cream was really the key to bridge the chocolate and pumpkin. Think about it.  You put whipped cream on a pumpkin latte or pumpkin pie and it goes well with chocolate!

I'm giving this flavor 🍦🍦/4 cones.  I loved the innovative flavor, but the texture was not great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd