Sundae School

The week I spent visiting Brett was spend half at his parents' house in Wayland and the half at their house on Cape Cod, in West Dennis. The number one spot in West Dennis to hang on a weekend night is apparently the homemade ice cream shop called, The Sundae School. Apparently it gets so crowded in the middle of the summer that they hire someone just to direct traffic in the parking lot!! Brett and I visited both Friday and Saturday night.

With a name like Sundae School I was expecting really punny names of ice cream. None were that punny but they did have creative ones. However, on the first night the flavor, Shark's Tooth, stuck out to me, so I asked the scooper what in the world such a flavor was. Shark's Tooth is Black Raspberry with White Chocolate Chips. This is where the confusion began. I have always assumed that black raspberry was sort of like blue raspberry, as in not a real thing. However, when Brett said that this flavor was his sister's favorite because she loves black raspberries, I inquired what they were. He told me they were just raspberry's but black. I remained confused, as I have seen white raspberries and red raspberries, but never black raspberries. Brett and his mom assured me that I must have seen them. So I thought maybe crazy East Coaster's just thought black berries were called black raspberries. I pulled up a picture on my phone of a black berry and asked Brett if this is what he was talking about. But nope, there is such a thing as a black raspberry, different from a black berry that I had never seen before!! Learn something new every day.

Black and white raspberries on the left, blackberries on the right, different shades of red raspberries in the middle!


This of course, impacts my review of this ice cream as I don't know if a black raspberry tastes the same as a red one. The ice cream wasn't very tart, but definitely tasted like raspberry. Maybe black raspberries are sweeter than red?! Who knows. The white chocolate chips went so well with the ice cream, berry and white chocolate is one of my favorite combos! I'm also guessing they call it Shark's Tooth because the chips look like little teeth! My one complaint was that the chips were a bit hard and crumbly. Maybe they are difficult to find, but a white chocolate chip that stands up to being frozen better and stays cream would make this ice cream knock my socks off! The texture of the ice cream was phenomenal. Not too hard, not to soft, with enough air to give it a wonderful pull and to let it melt deliciously.

Look at the beautiful color of the Shark's Tooth ice cream! 


The next day I tried Milky Way and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. The guy who served us on Saturday was wayyyy skimpier on our scoops. The Milky was had very delicious chocolate ice cream with caramel swirls and pieces of Milky Way Candy. The pieces of the candy bar were big and awesome. Milky Way is a candy bar that freezes really well. The caramel was good, but there definitely could have been more of it and it could have been more liquidy. The cookie dough was pretty standard. It had very small chocolate chips, which I love because it lets the cookie dough be the star of the show. The ice cream tasted strongly of cream and subtly of vanilla, like eating cookies and milk. The cookie dough chunks however, were few and far between. Very disappointing. So few in fact I don't even feel like I really tell you what I thought of them. However, the scoop I got was very small. That's the danger of getting a mix-in focused flavor in small amounts, especially at a shop that makes their ice cream right there. You might just get a scoop with very few mix-ins, but the next scoop down could have a ton! So the verdict is still out on the cookie dough!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd