Georgetown Valley Candy Company Ice Cream and Candy Shop

Dearest reader, I have to begin this blog entry with an apology. I went to an ice cream shop and I didn't take any pictures of the ice cream I ate. I am so sorry, you'll just have to put up with my writing with no pictures to make it actually interesting. Right now I am in the Denver area with my dad visiting his family. After what was supposed to be a four hour hike to the top of James Peak turned into a seven hour bushwhacking adventure when our trail was covered in snow, obviously we were all due for some ice cream. On our way back to Denver we stopped in the town of Idaho Springs to find an ice cream shop. We spotted the Georgetown Valley Candy Company, which also serves ice cream, and decided this was the perfect place to stop.

The Georgetown Valley Candy Company has two locations, the one we stopped and one in Georgetown, another mountain town, hence the name. I looked at their Facebook page to try to find some pictures of their ice cream since I didn't take any, but they just seemed to have pictures of their candy and none of their ice cream.

I got a scoop, a quite generous one I may add, of Brownie Sundae in a chocolate dipped waffle bowl. I don't often get waffle cones, let alone chocolate dipped ones, but after the adventure we had, I was sure in need of one. The vanilla base of this flavor was pretty standard, but it was the chocolate sauce and brownies mixed in that stole the show. As they are mainly a candy company, I'm sure this place makes both of those in house, and you could tell. The chocolate sauce was really thick and the brownies were just about the best brownies I've ever had in or out of ice cream. They were so thick, chewy, and fudgey they tasted like someone had baked them fresh that morning.

The waffle bowl was also pretty fabulous. It was thicker than your standard waffle cone/bowl and very sweet, and not to crunchy/crumbly. The chocolate on the rim was also probably made right there in house and it was very thick and delicious.

However, it was the flavor that my dad got that really made this place stand out. He got Spearmint Chocolate Chip. When he ordered the flavor, the server said to him, "I'm going to have you try this first. This is spearmint, not regular mint, and it's very strong. Not everyone likes it."  I watched him try a bite and it looked like his eyes were about to pop out of his head. With a reaction like that I knew I had to ask him for a bite. Wowowowow. I want you to go get a piece of spearmint gum right now and chew it. Now imagine that strong of a flavor in ice cream! Seriously it was so strong and so good. I would have never thought to put spearmint in ice cream, but wow it was amazing. The chocolate chips were sizable, and the chocolate actually worked so well with the spearmint! Next time you go hiking in the Colorado Rockies, you seriously have to go try this flavor at the Georgetown Valley Candy Company!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd