St. Louis Ice Cream Extravaganza

After leaving Minneapolis, Madeline spent ONE WHOLE DAY in the lovely Lou before heading back to Minneapolis. Obviously we knew we would have to make this day an ice cream extravaganza. As I mentioned a little while ago, Jilly's Cupcakes was opening an ice cream bar. There has been a lot of buzz on St. Louis social media about the place. After the flavor list came out and it included My Lucky Charms as a June Chef/Fan Favorite, I knew we had to hit this place up in our ice cream extravaganza. I was obsessed with Lucky Charms as a kid. My love for Lucky Charms went beyond just being my favorite cereal. Seriously, the best Christmas gift I ever got was a special edition box of Lucky Charms that let you color in the box yourself.

Look at the cool decor at Jilly's! Ice cream scoops!


At Jilly's Ice Cream bar we got two scoops for only $4.50, one of the My Lucky Charms and the other of Gooey Butter Brownie Batter. The My Lucky Charms flavor is described as: Lucky Charms Cereal Ice Cream, Strawberry Wafer Pearls & Lucky Charms Marshmallows.




The first thing I noticed about the My Lucky Charms flavor was the color. It had that odd grey-ish tint in it that the dregs of a bowl of Lucky Charms always had. Sounds gross, but anyone who had Lucky Charms as a kid knows exactly what I'm talking about and how delicious the sugary milk and soggy marshmallows are. Not only did the scoop look like the dregs of a bowl of Lucky Charms, it tasted like it!! They hit the nail on the head with this one. Wow. The strawberry wafer pearls added delicious crispy texture to the chewy texture of Jilly's Ice Cream. As much as I'd say they really captured the essence of Lucky Charms, I do think this ice cream could be just a bit better. When I had this there were, maybe sparklers, but no fireworks. Maybe it needed a swirl, maybe more of the marshmallows, I'm not totally sure. I guess I'll just have to get it again to decide. Woe is me.

The Gooey Butter flavor, on the other hand, had the fireworks. My favorite thing about it was the brownie batter swirls. They were, not frequent, which really let the gooey butter-ness shine, but when you did get a glob it was fabulous!

At Serendipity, in Webster Groves, we also got two scoops. One was Cookie Monster, and the other Banana Honey Sesame. Cookie Monster is cotton candy ice cream with Oreos and cookie dough. I was a little hesitant, but it's what they are know for, so we had to get it. If this ice cream was anything like Ben 7 Jerry's Cotton Candy, which has a pretty mellow flavor, I could see it working with chocolate. But this ice cream was nuclear waste blue, very different than the color of the Ben & Jerry's. Because of the color I thought this would have a very bright, intense flavor. It definitely did have a more intense cotton candy flavor than Ben & Jerry's version, but was still rather mellow. This mellow and the almost sickly (but delicious) sweetness of the cotton candy worked wonderfully with the distinctive subdued chocolatey, crumbly Oreo cookie. The Oreo cookies dissolved in your mouth as you ate the ice cream which I thought mixed the flavors well. I loved the cookie dough too, but I thought the real star of this flavor was the cotton candy/Oreo combo.



If a cookie monster flavor is very childish, the Banana Honey Sesame was very adult. Especially the honey. As Madeline said, this was not honey you got out of a bear at a grocery store. The honey was very intense. I'm not the biggest honey fan, so although I think they accomplished what they were trying to do, and I can appreciate the ice cream, I wouldn't necessarily get it again.

At Serendipity we found one of the St. Louis 250th anniversary cakes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd