Magnum Mini Gold?!

Ahhh, Magnum, you have a special place in my heart.  I first tried Magnum ice cream bars during a summer I spent in Morocco after I graduated from college.  The bars were sold at little street vendors and typically went for around $2.50-3 USD a piece.  This was a little expensive, but sometimes you just needed some damn good ice cream!

In the States, a box of 3 full-size Magnum bars goes for about $4 (I think).  The Magnum Minis come 6 to a box for about the same price.  At the grocery store, I opted to try the Magnum Mini Gold?! (also, can we all please start using the interrobang ‽) I was a little afraid to try a 'mini' size, as I obviously want to eat as much ice cream as possible at all times, but I took the plunge.  I was actually pleasantly surprised by the size.  These were maybe a half-inch longer than my palm and as wide as half of my palm.  Respectable!

I realize this picture gives you no idea of scale.

Magnum Gold?! is described as "vanilla bean ice cream with a sea salt caramel swirl dipped in a golden chocolatey coating."

My freezer was a little wonky last week when I had these, so the insides of the bars were a bit melty, so I can't speak to their consistency.  Other Magnum bars I have had in the past have had a wonderful texture.  They were firm enough that you weren't afraid for the structural integrity of your dessert, but soft enough to gum into.  (Because you can't really bite ice cream bars, you must gum into them.)

The vanilla bean ice cream was top notch.  The sea salt caramel swirl was light and delicate and you could definitely taste it, but I could have done with a slightly heavier, saltier swirl.

Swirl!  You can also kind of see the double layer of coating!

The real standout on these bars was the golden-chocolatey coating.  The coating is actually double-layered.  The inside layer is the typical Magnum chocolate coating, and the inner layer is what gives these bars their name.  The outer layer is composed of Coconut oil, fractioned palm kernel oil, sugar, cocoa, color added.  Hands down I've never seen a more beautiful ice cream shell.  When I took a bar out of its wrapper, the only word that came to mind to describe the coating was velvety.  It looks rich and thick and was sweating just enough that it shimmered.  Imagine a bathing beauty lounging, tanning, and glistening on the beach.  Just wonderful.



This wasn't my favorite Magnum ever, that honor goes to the Double Chocolate and Double Caramel flavors (which are divine and which I will review eventually), but this bar was delicious and I have never seen anything like it before so it is worth it to try if just for the novelty factor.

Interrobang.

Comments

  1. It seems like after I had the Magnum infinity chocolate and you reviewed this, they must just have wimpy swirls!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd