Reader Request: Izzy's Green Tea Ice Cream

In honor of reaching 1000 page views, Lizzy and I will be (trying to) sample ice creams suggested by you, our readers.  The first suggestion I was able to try out came from my friend Eliot.  He suggested both green tea ice cream and red bean ice cream which he tried at the Missouri Botanical Garden's Japanese Festival.

On my most recent trip to Izzy's, I had the opportunity to try some green tea ice cream.  The description on Izzy's website reads

The Chinese have served as living proof of green tea's mystical healing powers for centuries.  It seems as if something in those tealeaves has the ability to make the weak strong and the meek brave.  Green Tea ice cream, made with only the finest Matcha Green Tea from St. Paul's own TeaSource also lays claim to this ability.  Results guaranteed within six weeks.

So, can we all agree that this description is really weird and move on?

About the ice cream:  This had a really pretty green color.  It wasn't really the color of green tea (which is more yellow), but whatevs.  It was also much denser than the other Izzy's flavors I have tried, but this was not a bad thing.  There were also some little hard, frozen beads of ice cream in my scoop, so which makes me think this batch got too cold or was frozen for too long.



This did not detract from the flavor though.  Eating this ice cream was like sipping a very slightly sweetened glass of iced green tea.  Yum!  If you are a tea-lover, you should get out there and find some green tea ice cream.  I've seen this offered for dessert at several Japanese restaurants, and I've also seen green tea mochi, so it shouldn't be too hard to find this interestingly flavored ice cream.

For my Izzy scoop I decided to get Mexican Chocolate Fiesta.  This is a very good, spiced chocolate ice cream.  The combination of these two flavors was amazing; together they tasted like chai tea.  Yum!

Although I had this at Izzy's I still really want to try greet tea ice cream at the MoBot Japanese Festival.  Trip to St. Louis anyone?  Also, I'm really excited to try or try making red bean ice cream because red bean paste buns are actually the best thing ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd