Izzy's Ice Cream Part Deux!

I also ate Izzy's Ice Cream!

I went to Izzy's for the first time in the week following finals.  This was a good week for ice cream; I went to Sebastian Joe's and Izzy's for the first time.

When looking at the flavors online before I went (because obviously I would do this) there were several I was really excited about including Cereal Milk and Hot Brown Sugar, so when I saw Hot Brown Sugar was available I knew that this flavor would be mine.  Immediately.  Because I was so excited about this flavor I failed to read anything about anything on their menu, so I didn't realize I would have to choose a flavor for my Izzy scoop.  I panicked and chose Vanilla.

The Vanilla wasn't bad, but it wasn't an outstanding vanilla either.  I'm not too upset because I don't typically order vanilla at a scoop shop.

Now on to the good stuff.  Er mah gerd the Hot Brown Sugar was the most amazing thing ever.  I want to eat this every day!  Here is the description from Izzy's website.

A culmination of deep, burnt flavors and hot spices result in the tour de force of ice cream flavors: Hot Brown Sugar.  Bold burnt caramel and singed brown sugar add a depth to the sweet creaminess of Izzy's ice cream mix, only to be intensified by a crunch of praline pecans cooked in cayenne pepper.  Piquant and sweet, its no wonder it was the 2006 Best in Show Winner. 

That, dear readers, is fucking poetry.  I almost feel like I don't need to say more and should just shut up.  (Key word: almost).  I didn't notice any praline pecans in my scoop, but I don't care.  I think it would have taken away from the perfect balance of flavors that were there.

The ice cream tastes like when you overcook and burn brown sugar.  It was delicious and smoky and amazing and wow.  At first I thought the hotness in both name and flavor was coming from the burntness of the brown sugar.  It wasn't until halfway down my cone, when the ice cream became noticeably spicier, that I looked more closely at my scoop and noticed minuscule specks of cayenne pepper.  The cayenne wasn't well mixed in, but it was kind of fun to have some bites of ice cream that were way spicier than others.

Christ reincarnated.  I probably shouldn't swear and make Jesus jokes in the same post.  Oops.

This ice cream was good enough to make me seriously contemplate quitting grad school, donning a pair of Jesus sandals, and roaming the country on foot to preach the gospel of Hot Brown Sugar.

The second time I went to Izzy's I went with my sister Lizzy and her friend Bea.  Lizzy reviewed her ice cream here.  She had Thai Iced Tea and M&M.  I chose Church Elderberry with Summit Oatmeal Stout as my Izzy scoop.  I didn't necessarily think these two flavors would go well together, but I really wanted to try the Summit Oatmeal Stout last time and didn't.  The beer ice cream was great.  (Come on.  Beer.  Ice cream.  I expect nothing less than greatness.)  It wasn't overpoweringly beer-y or overpoweringly sweet, but managed to strike a balance between the two that worked really well.

For my main scoop I got Church Elderberry described on Izzy's website as

Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, and Strawberries Oh My!  But we also add a little Elderberry Extract to complete the set.  Served at the Hamline Church Dining Hall at the State Fair every year (and in the shop year round as well!) this flavor is berry delicious ...

So the second half of this description is just SO 'Minnesota' that I can't even handle it.  I die.  I was attracted to this ice cream because of its color.  It is a beautiful, deep purplish-red color.  I was also curious because it looked incredibly full of tiny berry chunks.  I don't like small chunks (you should really just commit to chunks if you're going to do them) unless there are tons of them in the ice cream.  On this front, Church Elderberry delivered.  This was tarter than many berry-flavored ice creams which I also appreciated.

Hello elbow.

It seems I am not raving about this as much as the previous flavor.  Don't get me wrong, it was still delicious and I would definitely eat it again, but I don't think you can ever top Hot Brown Sugar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd