Ben and Jerry's Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake (NEW!)

Leave it to my trusty Tim and Tom's Speedy Market to be the first place in town I found the new Ben and Jerry's truffle flavors!

I picked up all three new truffle flavors (Chillin' the Roast, Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake, and Chocolate Shake It) and let Kyle choose which one to crack open first. He chose Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake, caramel cheesecake ice cream with graham cracker-covered cheesecake truffles & chocolate cookie swirls.



Even though Ben and Jerry's has a history of sub-par cheesecake ice creams, I was HYPED for this flavor, because the chocolate cookie butter in Ben and Jerry's Boom Chocolatta! is perhaps my favorite ice cream mix-in of all time. ALL TIME! And I've eaten a lot of ice cream mix-ins. I was hoping that would get re-used here.


I was pleasantly surprised by my first bite. I got a big shock of cheesecake flavor, so it seems Ben and Jerry's took some steps to remedy their frankly pitiful previous attempts at cheesecake ice cream. The cream cheese flavor wasn't as thorough or intense as the cream cheese ice cream from, say, Izzy's scoop shop, but it was unmistakably cheesecakey.


This initial pop of cheesecake was enhanced by the cheesecake truffles. These also had a strong cheesecake flavor, but were more sweet than rich, however they had an odd texture. They seemed colder than the base and a tad slimy, so it was slightly disconcerting to bite into one.  The graham coating had a nice grainy texture, but didn't have particularly strong taste.

The chocolate cookie swirls were the same or very similar to that used in Boom Chocolatta! just not as thick and prominent. Occasionally I would get a bite with a ton of chocolate cookie and really enjoyed the balance with the cheesecake base.


I didn't realize until after finishing the pint that this was a caramel cheesecake flavor. The only caramel element was in the base. Technically it is a caramel cheesecake base. Thinking back, the base was maybe a tad sweeter than a strict cheesecake base, but not to the point I noticed it was caramel-flavored while I was actually eating it.

Overall, this is a huge improvement on Ben and Jerry's previous cheesecake attempts, and I think it falls somewhere solidly in the middle of their line-up.

šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd