Sweet Me Red Velvet Cake (New!)

Sweet Me was the first brand to have their new flavors hit the shelves in the Minneapolis market, which makes sense since they are based in St. Paul! AND they have SEVEN new flavors that all sound amazing. I picked up Red Velvet Cake as well as Lemon Bar and Apple Pie, so look for those reviews soon.

Sweet Me Creamery's Red Velvet Cake is Red velvet cake flavored ice cream with white chocolatey flakes and a cream cheese frosting swirl.

There are two elements that make up any Red Velvet flavor. A chocolate base (cake, cookie, ice cream, etc....) dyed red and a cream cheese frosting. Since the base is really just chocolate, when people say they like Red Velvet, they really mean they like the cream cheese frosting (or the chocolate/cream cheese combo). They may not know that's what they mean, but it is. Weirdly, I have never seen a 'chocolate and cream cheese icing' flavor. Somehow the red dye makes the combination socially acceptable.



Sweet Me's red velvet base was the most truly chocolate base I've ever had in a red velvet ice cream. If I closed my eyes and didn't know I was eating a red velvet flavor, I probably would have guessed I was just eating chocolate ice cream. And yet, brains are weird, so seeing the color of the base convinced me I was tasting a red velvet flavor. It would have been awesome if the base had a bit more of an eggy, cakey flavor, but it was still tasty. I got caught in traffic on the way home from purchasing these pints so they sat in the car a little longer than usual, so the texture may be 'user error,' but I thought it was a bit too dense and a bit too dry.

This color is not quite true to life. In reality, it was an AMAZING brick red.

If you're a long-time blog reader, you probably know that Lizzy and I like different levels of cream cheese in our red velvet ice creams. I love as much cream cheese frosting as you can stuff into a flavor, while Lizzy prefers her red velvet ice cream with just a hint of cream cheese. This was definitely a flavor Lizzy would like. The cream cheese swirl was a bit sparse for my liking, but had a strong flavor when it showed up. It was mainly concentrated along the vertical axis of the pint.

The white chocolate chips were quite frequent and I thought they were a nice, subtle twist on a classic red velvet flavor. They added something new without getting too far away from traditional red velvet. The chips were medium-sized and quite crunchy. Maybe a little too crunchy.

I really enjoyed this pint, and I'm rating it šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4. The flavor was superb, and without the few textural issues (slightly dry base, chocolate chips slightly too crunchy, needed a bit more swirl) it would easily be a 4-coner!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd