Haagen Dazs Espresso Chocolate Cookie Crumble

Coffee and chocolate is such an obvious combination, but I don't think it's often done well in ice cream form. It's hard to strike the perfect balance between the darkness or lightness of the coffee and the darkness or lightness and texture of the chocolate. Haagen-Dazs takes a new approach to this combo, and I think I like it.  Haagen Dazs describes Espresso Chocolate Cookie as

The smooth sophistication of coffee ice cream swirled with cookie crumbles and sprinkled with chocolate espresso flakes; let its bold flavors invigorate your senses.



Somewhat serendipitously, I recently reviewed Haagen-Dazs Coffee, so I can compare that to Espresso Cookie Crumble. While Coffee was a lighter roast with plenty of cream and sugar, Espresso Chocolate Chip was a fuller-bodied, darker roast with just a hint of cream and sugar.


The chocolate cookie crumbles reminded me of the chocolate cookie butter in Ben and Jerry's Boom Chocolatta. They had a similar thick and grainy texture, but the swirls were smaller and more distributed throughout the pint.  The chocolate cookies were very, very dark and almost had a bitter flavor. I initially couldn't decide whether or not I liked the bitterness, but it grew on me as I ate more and more ice cream. I do, however, think this bitterness makes Espresso Cookie Crumble a for-coffee-lovers-only flavor.


The chocolate espresso flakes added a nice crunch to the pint, but not too much additional flavor.

I'll give this šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4 cones!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd