Haagen-Dazs Artisan Collection Banana Rum Jam

Alas!! I have done it!!! I have complete the epic, months-long quest to try all of the Haagen-Dazs Artisan Collection! After a treacherous trek across town to the HyVee on the other side of town, losing hope while wandering the maze-like, only slightly-different layout of this grocery store, I finally found it. The Banana Rum Jam flavor, the only remaining missing link. The completion of this quest will bring eternal fame and glory to the Big Muddy Ice Cream Blog!!



And what I mean by eternal fame and glory is being able to say we are not the actual worst ice cream bloggers out there. Most other ice cream blogs had tried all of the artisan collection flavors months and months ago. You know, like, when they were still new. However, Madeline can't find the Applewood Smoked Caramel Almond flavor (which I did when I first moved to Iowa City) and I couldn't find the Banana Rum Jam (which Madeline did back in May).  And what I mean by couldn't find, is hadn't look extensively.



So yes, the other week, when I needed to go to the Post Office, I did my grocery shopping at the other HyVee in Iowa City, which is much larger and has a much larger ice cream selection.

This flavor was made in collaboration with The Jam Stand, in Brooklyn. The collaboration is described as Together we swirl bananas, rum and lime into a sauce and mix it with smooth vanilla bean ice cream.

(What is it with ice cream companies and not using the Oxford comma?)



Having read Madeline's review right before writing this one, I feel like I am only going to be parroting her. The vanilla base was a wonderful, strong, and sophisticated vanilla flavor. The swirl, on the other hand, left a little to be desired. It was thin, and less than abundant throughout the pint. It was strongly banana flavored. The banana flavor in it tasted exactly like the banana flavor Haagen-Dazs has in it's Caramelized Banana Chip gelato. It is a realistic, and strong, but not quite overly sweet, banana flavor. The lime and rum, on the other hand, were barely present. Occasionally I tasted a burn of rum at the end of a bite with a particularly large amount of swirl. I think there was only one moment, and what a glorious moment it was, I tasted the lime. The lime was sweet and tart at the front of the flavor profile and gave way to the banana. But that was all; only one ephemeral taste. I'm trying to imaging all three flavors more intensely mingled together in one bite of swirl. It would have been awesome. Sweet, tangy lime giving way to full flavored banana, giving way to the burn of rum. Too bad this didn't exist in reality.



If the lime and rum had been more present this would have been an out of this world flavor. As it stands, this was a good flavor, and Haagen-Dazs has done more work to convince me banana flavored ice creams don't suck.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd