New-to-Me Brand Alert! Ciao Bella Caffe Macchiato Gelato

Ciao Bella Gelato is one of those brands I've seen around in stores a bit, but I haven't heard much about it, good or bad. I've seen it at Whole Foods, and usually when I am at Whole Foods, I am on a specific mission, and I'm not buying ice cream with whimsy. And Madeline, in fact reviewed this exact flavor about a year ago, which I had completely forgotten about. However, right now I am visiting Brett for Thanksgiving break. When he shopped for food before my arrival, of course he bought some ice cream and decided to pick up this flavor.



First, a bit about Ciao Bella Gelato. Ciao Bella started as a scoop shop in Little Italy in New York City in 1983. The main man of Ciao Bella is Danilo Zecchin, a chef who grew up in Torino, Italy. From browsing the Ciao Bella website, I think Danilo gets me. Some of their gelato flavors include Alba Hazelnut Caffe, Bourbon Caramel Chocolate, Brown Sugar Caramel, and Chocolate Mascarpone. They also have a much more extensive sorbetto flavor list compared to their gelato list. In my opinion, their tastiest sounding sorbetto flavors are Blueberry Passion Fruit, Bartlett Pear Hibiscus, Coconut, and Marion Blackberry Cabernet. Their current seasonal flavors are a Honey Almond Nougat gelato and Mulled Apple Cider sorbetto. I know I haven't gushed about how much I love nougat as of late, but I love nougat. And apple cider sorbet? Get at me.

Now, how about their Caffe Macchiato flavor?

It is described as A caffe macchiato in Italian means "coffee with a stain of milk" and is the inspiration behind this Caffe Macchiato gelato. Our coffee gelato is an aromatic amalgamation of natural coffee extract, espresso, ground Arabica beans and cream. It's a wonderful little pick-me-up you just won't want to put down. 



First, there are a lot of different coffee ingredients happening in this gelato. From the ingredients, there is is espresso concentrate, coffee concentrate, and ground coffee. And wowza, you can tell this coffee gelato is a COFFEE gelato! You could even tell there was the darker flavor of espresso in there. And the ground coffee beans gave this gelato a fabulous crunchy texture. This gelato also still tasted sweet and creamy, but a lot less so than a more run of the mill coffee flavor.



The texture of this gelato was dense and not the silkiest gelato I've ever had. However, the lack of silkiness which is so emblematic of gelato could have been less present because of the ground coffee beans adding a crunchy texture.



Luckily for me, even without a Whole Foods near me in Iowa City, I can get Ciao Bella at New Pioneer Food Co-Op and Lucky's Market! So you will definitely be seeing some more reviews of this brand in the future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd