Haagen Dazs Green Tea Ice Cream

If you couldn't tell, I used the last of my Haagen-Dazs coupons recently. I had received one a few months ago, and I waited until only a few days before it expired to use it, in hopes I wouldn't get any more. I decided to mix it up and use it at the other HyVee in Iowa City, which has a larger ice cream selection. My patience and arduous trek to the other side of the city was rewarded. In addition to the Banana Rum Jam flavor I found, I found this fantastic and difficult to find flavor, Green Tea!

I'm going to begin this post by being upfront and honest. I don't like green tea. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't chose it over chai or mint tea. Also when it comes to the stereotypical Japanese ice cream flavors, I would much rather have red bean ice cream! I also know nothing about green tea. So take this review for what it's worth. Which is probably not much. However, I've only seen this flavor at one other store, so I decided I couldn't pass up the opportunity to give it a try!



The fanciful description on this pint reads Our green tea ice cream is crafted from highly sought Japanese Matcha green tea, a ceremonial tea prized for its intense yet delicate character.



Mmmk so this flavor. Well. It tasted like green tea. I don't know anything about green tea. The end.

Jkjk, I'll say more about it.



Sometimes Haagen-Dazs cracks me up with their overly flowery descriptions of flavors, but this time I'm feeling it. This flavor was intense. There was a lot of green tea flavor packed into this pint. However, the green tea flavor was delicate. The sweet and creamy flavors of the ice cream mixed with a delicate tea flavor at the beginning of the flavor profile which gave way to an intense, strong, and earthy tea flavor at the end. Now, like I said, I know nothing about tea, so I'm not sure earthy is the right word here. But I can't think of a better one. This flavor makes me wonder if people put milk and sugar in their green tea, like you might with chai tea or coffee. If green tea ice cream is the gateway to being green tea lover, like coffee ice cream is for coffee, I'll have to buy more.



Did I love this flavor? No. Did I like it? Yes. If you are a green tea fan and you've tried this ice cream, I would love to hear your thoughts!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd