Izzy's Italian Strawberry and Lemon Basil Sorbet

It was 70 degrees Fahrenheit in Minneapolis on Novemebr 3, 2015.  Let me repeat that.  It was 70 degrees Fahrenheit in Minneapolis on November 3, 2015.  What!? I couldn't believe it.  Early in the day I decided I wasn't going to do any work and instead spend some time outside.  What better way to spend time outside then to walk to the ice cream parlor, eat ice cream outside, and then walk back to school.  I even tricked a few of my friends into Tuesday afternoon delinquency!

When we got to Izzy's I saw they were offering Lemon Basil sorbet, a flavor I'd been eying on the website, but had yet to see in the scoop shop.  I tried a sample and immediately decided I would get some.  I love Izzy's ice cream so much that I didn't want to get a full scoop of sorbet and not get ice cream, so I decided to get the Lemon Basil as my Izzy scoop.  Now I just had to decide what to get for my main flavor.  Such struggle! Much tribulation! What will I do!

I narrowed down my choices to a mango ice cream and Italian Strawberry.  Then I had this vague recollection that Italian Strawberry had some weird ingredient in it, but couldn't remember what it was.  (Also, oh my god Izzy's has like a million flavors on their website and I freaking remember details about them all!)  I was already being adventurous with the Lemon Basil, so decided to keep the adventure going with an unknown ingredient.

When I placed my order the guy working got so excited!  He's this sort of hipster-y looking person who just blends perfectly with Izzy's whole vibe.  I'm always happy when I go there and he's working.  (Ice cream guy, if you're reading this, sorry for being super creepy, let's nerd out about ice cream some time!)  Anyway, I ordered, and he was like, "Yesssss! The balsamic in the Italian Strawberry goes so well with the Lemon Basil, it's all I've been wanting to tell people to get all day."  So glad we're on the same wavelength Izzy's guy!  Also, you know you've made a good flavor choice when the scoop-shop employee gives you props.

Baaaaaaaaaasssssiiiiilllllll!

He was right, the Italian Strawberry went so well with the Lemon Basil Sorbet.  The Lemon Basil sorbet was on the sweet end of the lemon flavor spectrum rather than the sour end.  It reminded me of a frozen lemonade.  The basil was shredded into small but not tiny pieces.  It gave the sorbet enough depth and body to tone down the sweetness of the sorbet base.

The Italian Strawberry also had a great sweet/savory balance.  For this flavor, the strawberries are soaked in balsamic vinegar.  The balsamic vinegar isn't a super prevalent flavor, but rather gives the strawberry ice cream a nice tang.  If you're consciously looking for it you can taste it though.

The combination of the two was simply divine.  It was the perfect last gasp of summer I needed before settling in for fall and winter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd