Ghurtie's Gourmet Frozen Yoghurt

This post is sort of a reader request, minus the reader part. Maybe. It would be super exciting if ther person were now a reader of this blog! Not too long ago, I was getting my hair cut and I noticed my hair dresser had a tattoo of a cupcake on her arm, so I asked her about it. She talked my ear off about cupcakes for the next 10 minutes and apologized. She was like, wow I could talk about cupcakes and desserts all day, but most people stop caring after the first 2 minutes. I was like, girl, I understand your struggle. I write an ice cream blog, talking about ice cream way longer than my listener would like me to is the story of my life. By the end of the hair cut, she recommended I check out Ghurtie's Frozen Yoghurt in Coralville.

Ghurtie's a bit of a drive from my house, so it would need to be quite good for me to make it a regular event. So how does it stack up? I'll use my 8-step froyo shop evaluation process to find out.

1) The variety of the flavors: is there a good selection?
2) The flavor of my choices.
3) The quality of the combination of my choices.
4) The texture of the froyo.
5) The variety of the toppings
6) Quality of the toppings
7) How well my toppings coordinated with my froyo flavors
8) Overall experience.



1) An emphatic yes on this one. There were 8-10 flavors to choose from in the front of the shop, and there were about 6 more available you could get if you asked an employee. That's impressive. The flavors spanned the whole range from fruity to desserty.



2) I chose Decadent Dark Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Pumpkin Pie. The peanut butter was the best of the flavors I chose. The other two were cloyingly sweet, but the peanut butter was perfectly sweet, salty, and quite strongly peanut flavored. The pumpkin pie flavor was okay, it tasted like pumpkin, but also like someone accidentally dumped way too much sugar into the recipe. Similarly, the dark chocolate was too sweet for my tastes



3) The combos of peanut butter plus chocolate and peanut butter plus pumpkin pie were the tastiest, because the salty peanut butter mellowed out the over sweetness of the other flavors. And yes, peanut and pumpkin go together surprisingly well.

4) This was pretty average. Not too icy, but not too dense or creamy either.

5) This is the category where Iowa froyo shops are totally killing it, and Ghurtie's was no exception. Every nut, cereal, candy, fruit, etc., you could ever want, they had. There wasn't anything super unique, but they had a great variety.

6) I got brownie chunks, pecans, and graham cracker dust, thinking it would turn my froyo into a chocolate, nut, pumpkin pie extravaganza. However, the brownie chunks were kind of dry. Also, not a fault of Ghurtie's, but I do not think graham cracker dust is the topping for me. I obviously love graham crackers, but it was dry and weird with the froyo.

7) If the brownies had been a little better, and if I had gotten graham cracker pieces as opposed to dust, I think this would have been stellar. But as it stands, it was a mediocre combo.

8) Meh. This froyo shop was okay, but not worth driving all the way to Coralville.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd