Ben & Jerry's Candy Bar Pie: A Saga in 6 Acts

Preface

Yes, I am copying my sister in the format of this post. But it was too good to pass up, and the story of me and ice cream flavor really cannot be described in any way besides a SAGA.

Introduction

It's my turn, finally to review the amazing, limited-edition, Ben & Jerry's Candy Bar Pie. I first had this ice cream a while ago, like a WHOLE month ago, but just haven't had time to review it. In the mean time I think I have eaten like 3 or 4 pints of this ice cream. Mostly because they don't sell it in Eldon, so I had to drive 25 mins to the Lake of the Ozarks to buy this flavor. I decided to stock up when I bought it so I would have to drive to the Lake again too soon to buy more. But in reality, a 25 minute drive is nothing compared to the reality of what I have gone through to get this ice cream.

Act I: Romance

I have waited over a YEAR for this ice cream to come out in pints. Back in Spring of 2013, Candy Bar Pie hit the scoop shops. I had it at the scoop shop and looooved it. Not too long after I tried it, I found out from theicecreaminformant.com that Ben & Jerry's would be releasing it in pint form. It was supposed to come out in September 2013!!! They were going to phase out their summer flavors, Pina Colada (not so great) and Cotton Candy (much better than expected) and bring in Candy Bar Pie.

Act II: Disappointment

I waited and waited and waited and waited and September rolled around, and nothing happened.  So I waited and waited and waited some more, and didn't hear any thing about this flavor until theicecreaminformant.com posted in August of this year.

Act III: Hope, Finally. But Then More Disappointment

They had finally gotten their hands on the flavor. Of course, after reading this I immediately went to the Ben & Jerry's flavor locator to find where I could buy it. Of course for the longest time there was nowhere near STL or Eldon that had Candy Bar Pie in stock.

Act IV: Hope, Again!

I'm not sure when it was, but finally Candy Bar Pie appeared in the 65026 area code on the flavor locator. And, of all places, at the ELDON Gerbe's!! Not just any Gerbe's, but the ELDON Gerbe's!! Yes the one a quarter of a mile from my apartment! Woohooo!

Act V: Disappointment is Really Getting Old

I went to Gerbe's as soon as I discovered that they were supposed to have Candy Bar Pie, and they had NONE. I went back 3 or 4 times and they still did not have any. I really like to try to support Eldon businesses, which is why I shop at Gerbe's and gave them that second and third chance with this flavor. But the blog comes first, so I gave up and decided to go to HyVee at the Lake.

Act VI: Sweet, Sweet Ice Cream Victory

So finally, about a month ago, after months and months of waiting, I got my hand on a store-bought pint of Candy Bar Pie!

Epilogue: The Review

Candy Bar Pie is described as Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Fudge Flakes, Chocolate Nougat & Sweet & Salty Pretzel Swirls. In other B&J's flavors that have a peanut butter base, like Peanut Butter Cup, the peanut butter flavor is one of the most prominent flavors in the ice cream. However, in this flavor, the peanut butter was definitely the background because there is so much going on! But this is definitely not a bad thing. In fact, the peanut butter frames the rest of the flavors and chunks really nicely. It is just sweet and salty enough to blend with everything else going on. Like Madeline said in her review of this flavor, the fudge flakes are really like fudge chunks, which was great. The flakes really add texture to the ice cream and they are super tasty.



Unlike Madeline, I really did notice the chocolate nougat swirl. See that brown swirl in this picture below? That is the chocolate nougat swirl. It was always really soft and more liquidy that you would find in like a 3 Musketeers Bar, but is tasted exactly like that. Nougat is one of my favorite things ever and I think the chocolate nougat swirl is what made this ice cream great, and not just good. 


The  best part of this ice cream, however, was the pretzel swirl. I think it is very imaginative Ben & Jerry's to make a pretzel swirl, and not just pretzel chunks or something. B&J really stepped it up with this component. The swirl was perfectly salty and amazing. The only was I can describe it is like when there is chocolate cookie/Oreo swirl in an ice cream, except it was with pretzel. It was just soo good. Overall, I was really impressed with this ice cream. It has been a while since Ben & Jerry's released a new flavor that was THIS good. (Overall I wasn't too impressed with the core flavors). I know this flavor is supposed to be limited batch, but if the sales match how good I think this ice cream is, hopefully they will make it a permanent flavor. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd