Haagen-Dazs Peppermint Bark

I realize it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but that doesn't mean we can't start talking about peppermint ice cream.  My memories Christmas season past are tinged with the sounds of Jingle Bells off of Booker T. and the MGs' album Booker T. and the MGs in the Christmas Spirit and taste of peppermint ice cream with chocolate syrup.

The peppermint ice cream of my youth was antibiotic pink with chunks of hard as rock red-and-white and green-and-white peppermint candies scattered throughout.

Haagen-Dazs Peppermint Bark (Limited Edition) is a totally grown up, sophisticated version of this (still delightful!) childhood treat.



First let me say that I love the purple packaging of the Haagen-Dazs Limited Edition flavors.  I absolutely despise their normal maroon and yellow packaging, but the purple is wonderful.

The Haagen-Dazs website has this to say about their seasonal flavor:

Celebrate the season with our rendition of this holiday classic.  Rich white chocolate ice cream is blended with crunchy chocolaty peppermint bark and peppermint candy pieces.

I am a die-hard fan of Haagen-Dazs white chocolate ice cream.  So much so that their flavor White Chocolate Raspberry easily makes it onto my list of top 5 ice creams ever.  Easily.  It such a subtle flavor.  Delightfully and delicately sweet.  The perfect balance of richness and lightness.  The white chocolate ice cream also has the best texture out of any Haagen-Dazs base flavor.  It is soft and melts down into a creamy delicious mess.  Get at me white chocolate ice cream, get at me.

The darker bits are tho 'peppermint bark' and the really small red bits are the hard peppermint candy.

For the crunchy chocolaty peppermint bark, think small chunks of Andes mints.  I don't really think of this as peppermint bark as Haagen-Dazs claims.  Rather, I think of peppermint bark as crushed candy canes or crushed peppermint candies mixed with melted white chocolate which then solidifies as it cools.  However, despite the confusion Haagen-Dazs seems to have about what peppermint bark actually is, the alleged peppermint bark is a nice twist on the typical peppermint-candy mix-ins.  It's softer than the harsh crunch of a candy cane, but still much more solid than the ice cream.  Also, the peppermint flavor is much mellower than the peppermint flavor of a peppermint hard candy and mellowed even further by the surrounding chocolate.

The peppermint candy pieces were exactly what you'd think, but they were kinda small and I wish they were bigger and there were more of them.

I don't have very many pictures of this ice cream because I finished it so fast.  If you want to see it, you should go out and buy yourself a pint of this sophisticated twist on a holiday classic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd