Haagen-Dazs Pomegranate Swirl Gelato

Haagen-Dazs gelato is a new-ish (within the past 2 years or so) addition to the frozen dessert selection.  When this first came out I tried the Stracciatella flavor and was hugely underwhelmed.  It didn't have a great texture and the base gelato was not flavorful at all.  Since then, Haagen-Dazs has come out with some intriguing gelato flavors such as Caramelized Banana and Pomegranate Swirl, but my first experience with the brand made me hesitant to pick up another pint.

One of my first posts on this blog was about Haagen-Dazs limited edition pomegranate ice cream bars, which I really liked.  Also, Kyle is obsessed with all things pomegranate.  These two things, along with a 3 for $9 sale, finally made me get over my reluctance to eat Haagen-Dazs gelato.



The Haagen-Dazs website say

A strikingly beautiful duo, Haagen-Dazs Pomegranate Swirl blends tart pomegranate gelato with elegant vanilla gelato, creating an exceptionally smooth indulgence that's light on your palate.

Kyle, the purported pomegranate aficionado actually didn't like this gelato, but I was surprised to find that I did.

I don't know if Haagen-Dazs changed their gelato since the last time I had it, but the texture of this gelato was so much better than the texture of the stracciatella I had previously tried.  This gelato was thick, creamy.  So thick that it was almost chewy, but in a good way.  It did that thing where the outside melts down to a really thick liquid but the inside stays frozen and thick and soft.



For me, pomegranate is one of those flavors that never tastes like the real thing, but I can't quite put my finger on what differs between the flavor of an actually pomegranate and pomegranate soda, pomegranate gelato or other pomegranate-flavored foods.  That said, this didn't really taste like pomegranate to me, but I don't think that is really a fault of Haagen-Dazs.  The pomegranate gelato tasted about like every other pomegranate-flavored thing I have tried, but perhaps more fruity.  Not sweeter, but fruitier.  It was tart and juicy and sweet.  The vanilla gelato had a flavor that was less prominent, but it had a nice warmth that balanced the tartness of the pomegranate gelato.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this gelato, and would definitely purchase it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd