Magnum White Chocolate Vanilla and Dark Chocolate Raspberry

The new Magnum pints are so far the only new-for-2018 to reach me so far in the frozen north. Lizzy reviewed Milk Chocolate Hazelnut so I picked up two different flavors: White Chocolate Vanilla and Dark Chocolate Raspberry.

Before I review the ice creams, I have to get something off my chest. Magnum tries SO hard to be this 'swanky' and 'sexy' and 'classy' ice cream brand and then they call their new pints TUBS! Yes, tubs! Possibly the least swanky, sexy, classy word in existence. What were they thinking?! "Let me just sit down with my TUB of Magnum."





White Chocolate Vanilla is Velvety vanilla ice cream and thick white chocolate shards encased in a crackling white chocolate shell. Dark Chocolate Raspberry is Raspberry ice cream with thick dark chocolate shards, all surrounded by a cracking layer of dark chocolate. Made with 65% cacao dark chocolate, it's luxury in every bite.

Who wants to eat SHARDS?! Again with the off-putting words, but the shards were actually quite good. I would say that these pints are about 60% ice cream and 40% shell and shards. This is a higher ratio than most ice cream companies use, but since the chocolate is Magnum's strength, it works out here.


On my first bite of the White Chocolate Vanilla, I literally thought to myself, "This is how white chocolate mix-ins should taste!" No wonder people don't like white chocolate. A lot of white chocolate is pretty flavorless and can be kind of oily, but it doesn't have to be that way, people! Magnum's white chocolate is creamy instead of oily and has a rich, cocoa butter-and-dairy taste.


The vanilla base was not particularly dense, but this worked well with the shards which were quite large and prominent. I think a thicker base would have made this almost impossible to eat. The vanilla had a round and warm flavor which nicely complemented the white chocolate. It tasted almost like a vanilla marshmallow to me!

I give White Chocolate Vanilla a solid 🍦🍦🍦/4.


I didn't love the Dark Chocolate Raspberry quite as much as I loved the White Chocolate Vanilla. The dark chocolate was pretty quality, and I really like that Magnum went with a 65% cacao dark chocolate and didn't try to appease milk chocolate lovers. Unfortunately, the raspberry ice cream didn't complement the chocolate. It just had this slightly weird taste to me - like almost a hint of fake raspberry. A bold, tart, true raspberry flavor would have worked better.

I give Dark Chocolate Raspberry 🍦🍦.5/4.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd