Serendipity Homemade Ice Cream: Ice Cream for Breakfast Day

This past Saturday was Ice Cream for Breakfast Day, a very made up holiday. This holiday is celebrated the first Saturday in February and recently has been gaining in popularity. This year in St. Louis THREE different ice cream shops, Jilly's Ice Cream Bar, I Scream Cakes, and Serendipity Homemade Ice Cream, were celebrating the occasion. I was having a really difficult time deciding which event to go to. If there had only been two events I might have tried to hit both, but with three I decided I might as well pick one. I have been to Jilly's a number of times because it is really close to where all my St. Louis friend live, so I decided to pass on that. Either Serendipity or I Scream Cakes need some Big Muddy love.



I ended up going with Serendipity for two reasons. One, they were giving away free mugs if you wore your pajamas to their event. I love mugs, especially free ones, and I'll take any excuse to wear PJs in public (still disappointed that my school has not had a PJs day yet this year). The other reason is that they were partnering with Strange Donuts, a newer donut shop in the STL area that is high on my bucket list before I leave Missouri.



I raced a 5k that morning, so Brett and I didn't get to Serendipity until about 10:45. The line was all the way out the back of the shop and out the door. This gave me ample time to consider what I wanted. Obviously, I wanted a Strange Donut ice cream sandwich. The next question was what flavor. For this day, Serendipity created three new flavors, and I was leaning toward getting one of these special flavors. One had bacon in it, so scratch that one off the list (if you didn't know I'm a long-time vegetarian). The other two were Blue Moon, on the menu with no description, and Fruit-in-My-Cereal, described as Corn Flake Ice Cream with Ribbons of Strawberry and Blueberry. 

Brett with his waffle sundae with the Bacon and Egg ice cream!


When Brett and I finally got to order, we found out they were out of Strange Donuts. I was pretty devastated. However, I asked if I could get the waffle sundae with a flavor of ice cream besides vanilla, and I was told yes, which lifted my spirits. The woman who served us told me that the Blue Moon flavor was similar to Fruit Loops. I knew I needed a sample before I possibly plunged in for a whole scoop. It did definitely taste like Fruit Loops, and the flavor was very strong. So strong that I didn't think I would like it for a whole sundae, so I opted for the Fruit-in-My-Cereal.

I got free hot cocoa and a free mug for showing up in my pjs!!


First I'll talk about the ice cream, then I'll talk about the sundae as a whole. The base flavor was interesting. I don't think I would have identified it as corn flake flavored without the description, but it also wasn't vanilla or sweet cream or something. The base with the two swirls did remind me of Captain Crunch. I was a bit disappointed that there were no corn flake pieces in the ice cream, or if there were I couldn't find them. Lastly the swirls were killer. They were thick and gooey, but also had chunks of real fruit. They also tasted like real fruit, which is pretty standard for a strawberry swirl, but kind of rare for a blueberry element of ice cream. In fact the blueberry swirl had bits of greenish color, just like the inside of blueberries. The fruit swirls were pretty separate, you could get easily get just strawberry or blueberry in a bite.



Now a bit about the sundae. It was served on what appeared to be a toaster waffle. However, Serendipity was trying to serve a ton of people really fast, so you can't really blame them. There was one pretty large, but still just one, scoop of ice cream. I left a bit hungry, but I eat more than most people and I had just run a race, so I'm sure the size was actually just perfect for most people, but I could have eaten more. The whipped cream and hot fudge were pretty standard, as was the maraschino cherry. Other than the ice cream, the best part of this sundae were the nuts. The nuts were mostly almonds (there might have been some other nuts but it was hard to tell), decent sized bits, and super salty. This extra salt and crunch, from the fact that they use almonds as opposed to peanuts, adds such a nice flavor and texture variation. I've also had a Serendipity drumstick before I started reviewing and they use mostly almonds for that as well, which is really what makes their drumstick stand out from the standard.

All in all, I hope Serendipity serves Fruit-in-My-Cereal year round cause it was really good. This day also reminded me I should put ice cream on waffles more often!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd