2nd Street Creamery Truck Stop Fudge

I mentioned in my review of Dove's Unconditional Chocolate that I picked this pint up at a nearby gas station.  The real reason I went to the gas station was to pick up a pint of 2nd Street Creamery, as they are the only store in the immediate area that sells the brand.

They had a selection of a few different flavors including the cookie dough and Copper Kettle Caramel, but since Lizzy reviewed both of these flavors recently, I decided to pick up Truck Stop Fudge.  This ice cream is described as

Chocolate ice cream with marshmallow and fudge sauce.



The short story, included on the pint, is

Everyone in the car expected Angie to take the highway off-ramp lovingly referred to as the "Truck Stop Fudge" exit.  It can't be helped, that fudge has a stronger gravitational pull than our earth's core.



The longer story, from the website is

It was like any other trip down I-29 heading for Kansas City.  As we crossed over the border from Iowa to Missouri, everyone expected me to take the Truck Stop Fudge exit.  I can't help it, that fudge has a stronger gravitational pull than our earth's core.   This fudge has something special about it.  Maybe because it's unexpected to see a confectionary masterpiece at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere or maybe it's because they let you sample a couple of the flavors first.  I do know this: every time I purchase my favorite fudge and the kindly Midwestern lady says, "Thanks, hon," I have this incredible urge to respond by saying, "Ten four good buddy.  I'm haulin' beef from Siouxland and I'm bound for KC.  Thanks a bunch pretty lady.  I'll be back as I'm bob-tailin' back north."  While I have yet to utter those words, it would be fun to see what sort of reaction it would bring.  C'mon, I dare you.  Stop in, buy some of that amazing fudge and talk a little "truck stop."  And, just in case you never get the chance to take the "Truck Stop Fudge Exit," our craftsmen at 2nd Street Creamery have whipped up an amazing batch of Truck Stop Fudge ice cream.  Just for you, good buddy.

First I'll talk about the base flavor of this ice cream.  It was a pretty decent but not outstanding chocolate base.  It tasted a lot like cocoa powder, which always reminds me of homemade chocolate ice cream.



I was a bit worried about this flavor not having much textural variation since there were no mix-ins, but only sauces.  Sometimes fudge or marshmallow sauces have very similar textures to the base flavor, but that was not the case here.  The fudge sauce was wonderful, but I wish there were more.  It was very rich and liquid-y.  The marshmallow was a totally different story.  Still good, but definitely different.  I would classify this more as large marshmallow chunks, not a swirl.  They were very very hard, but got softer as they warmed up.  Even when they were hard, I could still bite them because they were airy.  They has a texture that was very close to the texture of meringue.  At first I wasn't sure I liked it, but it definitely grew on me as I had more of it.  The marshmallow itself was a bit higher quality than the bagged marshmallows you find at a supermarket.

Now that is a sight I like to see!  Fuuuddddggggggeeeeeee.

I feel like I didn't say much about this ice cream, and honestly I was a bit disappointed by it.  Don't get me wrong, it was a strong flavor, but it didn't quite live up to the first two 2nd Street Creamery flavors I tried.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd