Kemp's Caribou Coffee Java Chunk Ice Cream

When I picked up the 1.5qt Kemp's Cookies 'n' Cream, I also picked up a 1.5qt of Kemp's Caribou Coffee Java Chip because there was a buy one get one free coupon and obviously I take advantage of this whenever possible.  This flavor is described as

Dark chocolate chunks in creamy coffee ice cream.

My experiences with Caribou Coffee: I've had Caribou Coffe granola bars which were in grocery stores when I was in middle and high school but have since been discontinued.  These were really amazing.  I've had multiple pastries from the Caribou Coffee in downtown Minneapolis as it's right on the way to dance and sometimes I need a pre-ballet bear claw.  There were good, but nothing extraordinary.  I know I've had a dark roast coffee from the same Caribou, but I remember nothing about it.  This probably means its better than the burnt swill that Starbucks serves, but not as good as coffee from some of the small local roasteries I've had.





Unfortunately this ice cream continued the downward trend of enjoyment of Caribou Coffee products.  First the texture.  This ice cream was very icy.  Ice cream should be creamy.  Like, its even in the name of the substance.  This was icy and I could kind of hear the ice crystals break apart as I ran my spoon through it.



The flavor.  The actual flavor wasn't that bad, and was pretty standard as far as coffee ice cream goes.  I've said it before, I would love a coffee ice cream that is closer to black coffee rather than cream-and-sugar coffee as is the norm, and this was not it.  It tasted like a Starbucks coffee frappuccino.  In other words very sweet.  I can kind of let Kemp's slide with this as they did describe this as a 'creamy coffee' ice cream.  At least they were being honest.



The 'dark chocolate' chunks took this ice cream from 'meh' to bad.  They certainly were not dark chocolate.  In fact, they hardly tasted chocolatey at all.  They were just really waxy and kind of tasteless.  Sad.  It should really be impossible and/or illegal to mess up chocolate.

Comments

  1. I totally disagree with the above. Itisfantastically good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what great about ice cream! There's something out there for everyone!

      Delete
  2. Completely disagree with this review. Absolutely obsessed with this ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally disagree, this is fantastic tasting. But everyone has different opinions

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd