Izzy's Chubby Bunny and Tiny Ice Cream

Saturday was National Ice Cream for Breakfast Day, and I obviously really wanted to go out and get ice cream for breakfast.  I'm was sure that there would me an ice cream parlor somewhere in the twin cities holding an event for breakfast.  I mean Lizzy had 3 events in St. Louis to choose from.  Unfortunately, Minneapolis really dropped the ball on Ice Cream for Breakfast day.  No special hours, nothing.  I decided I still wanted to get ice cream, and could celebrate the day by having ice cream for breakfast-for-dinner.  It's a stretch, but whatever.

I also want to mention something really cool that Izzy's is doing for the first part of February.  Each day for the first 13 days of February, Izzy's will donate $2 from each single scoop cup or cone purchased to a different charity each day as part of their 13 days of giving.  They also give you a coupon for $2 off a pizza at a local pizza parlor which is awesome.  My purchase on Saturday benefitted Cookie Cart which offers job training programs to teens.

Izzy's had some great flavors to choose from on Saturday, and I was almost tempted to get their dish that consists of 5 small scoops of ice cream so I could try 5 different flavors, but I didn't think some of the flavors I wanted to be try would go well together.

I sampled a chili-lime sorbet, which was really, really good.  It had a kind of slow, intense heat balanced by snappy, refreshing lime.  If it was summer and I could have eaten this outside, I would have been all over it.

What I finally decided on was a scoop of Chubby Bunny with an Izzy scoop of Sugar Cookie.  Chubby Bunny is described as

This ice cream revolves around a favorite food of bunnies around the globe.  Embedded in the cinnamon and nutmeg base lie chunks of rich carrot cake with raisins and a cream cheese frosting with walnuts.  In honor of its mouthwatering delectability, Chubby Bunny was the 2004 customer-voted Best in Show.

Sugar Cookie is described as

A sugar cookie flavored ice cream.



I think I'll talk about Sugar Cookie first because, while both flavors were good, Chubby Bunny was freaking phenomenal.  Sugar Cookie had an incredibly dense, creamy texture that almost didn't want to separate when I attempted to grab a spoonful.  It was also incredibly.  It tasted exactly like a sugar cookie, and was accordingly very sweet.  It was so rich and sweet that I'm glad I got it as an Izzy scoop rather than a full-size scoop, because I think it would have been almost sickeningly rich by the end of an entire scoop.

Now for Chubby Bunny.  Chubby Bunny was amazing.  The cinnamon/nutmeg balance in the base was absolutely perfect.  I think every other time I've had an ice cream with cinnamon and nutmeg, the balance has been off and one of the spices ends up overpowering the other.  Not here.  The cinnamon and nutmeg melded together into one deliciously awesome flavor experience.  The chunks of carrot cake in the ice cream were great.  They were quite large and almost purple in color.  They were slightly less dense than real-life carrot cake, but the texture worked well with the rich ice cream base.  The cake was amazingly moist and fresh-tasting despite being in a frozen dessert.

Oh my god.  Do you see that GIANT chunk of cream cheese icing? Do you see it? Nom.

The real standout here was the cream cheese icing.  I am definitely a huge fan of cream cheese icing, but I know there are people out there who don't like it very much, and those people would definitely not like this ice cream.  Although the description states that there are chunks of carrot cake with cream cheese icing, it seemed like the cream cheese icing actually showed up as stand-alone chunks.  The cream cheese ice cream chunks were huge, almost quarter-sized, and richer than any actual cream cheese icing I've ever had.  Izzy's probably had to modify a standard cream cheese icing recipe to make something that would survive in ice cream.  It was more like the texture of cream cheese than cream cheese icing.  Also, the icing wasn't too sweet and still tasted like cream cheese, which sometimes doesn't happen with cream cheese icing.  Oh my god, just thinking about it makes me drool.  I want another scoop.

I was still a bit hungry after finishing my single scoop, so I decided to get an Izzy scoop in a mini-cone to go.  I got the Peppermint Bon-Bon flavor, which I won't review now, but I've included a picture because it was so cute!

Baby ice cream!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd