Kemp's Cookies 'n' Cream

I don't think there's such a thing as a bad cookies and cream ice cream; it's incredibly hard to fuck up, and fuck it up Kemp's does not.  On their website, Kemp's describes this flavor as

Chocolate sandwich cookies in vanilla ice cream.

Keepin' it simple.  This is one of the ice creams in Kemp's 'Old Fashioned' line.  The whole point of this line is to offer classic flavors that bring back memories of delightful ice cream moments from your past.  Or something like that.  I threw away the pint without taking a picture of the blurb about their Old Fashioned ice creams.  Cookies and Cream definitely fits the category of classic ice cream flavor.



On to the review!  My overall impression was that this was a very solid slightly-above-middle-of-the-pack Cookies and Cream Flavor.  I think in the future, it would be a great ice cream to use as the base for a sundae.  It's good enough to hold its own, but wouldn't overshadow the rest of the sundae ingredients.



This ice cream was not very dense, yet still rich and creamy.  Even though this was a vanilla ice cream, it wasn't very strongly vanilla flavored.  Every once in a while I kind of realized that, oh yes, this was a vanilla base and not just a cream-flavored base.  This is one of the reasons I think this would be better as a sundae ice cream instead of a stand alone ice cream.  Normally this would really bother, but I didn't mind so much because the cookie flavor was so strong.

There were both large chunks of cookie as well as smaller crumbs suffused throughout the whole container.  The cookies were the wonderful texture of soggy Oreos.  I don't think there was any 'cream filling' in this ice cream, just chocolate cookie.  The cookie flavor of this ice cream was so strong that it tasted like the dirt from that dirt and worms dessert made out of Oreo cookies whipped cream and other goodies.



Also, when I got home from dance I Wednesday night, I was having one of those moments where I was all like, "I need to put as many calories as possible into my body as quickly as possible."  I really wanted some of this Cookies 'n' Cream ice cream, but what I really wanted was this Cookies 'n' Cream ice cream with peanut butter in it.  (Aside - Why has this not been done yet?  I mean, peanut butter Oreos are amazing.  Somebody needs to get on this.  I need an ice cream maker.)  So I decided to combine Cookies 'n' Cream ice cream and peanut butter and oatmeal.  It was good but not amazing, and definitely had the potential to be really really good.  I think I need to work on the ratio of peanut butter to ice cream.  It tasted too much like peanut butter and not enough like Cookies 'n' Cream.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd