2nd Street Creamery: Can't Tell Me No! Cookie Dough

I hadn't heard of 2nd Street Creamery until back in September when Madeline reviewed 2nd Street Creamery's Black Hill Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Madeline absolutely loved the flavor, but that didn't get me too excited about the brand. In general, Madeline is a bigger fan of pie than I am. Not that I don't love pie, but I would probably rather have cookies than pie. Or cookie dough. -not very subtle foreshadowing-

Not too long after Madeline posted that review, I had headed down to Lake of the Ozarks to go to HyVee to get some of Ben & Jerry's Candy Bar Pie. While I was there I saw that HyVee carried 2nd Street Creamery. I was like "Oh cool! Let me look at what flavors they have!!" My eye was instantly drawn to the Can't Tell Me No! Cookie Dough. Just from the name of the flavor I knew this was gonna be good. The title of this flavor basically sounded like it was describing my life philosophy. Am I worried about raw egg? NO!! Do I care if I end up with hardly any cookies to actually bake? NO!! You can't tell me no, I will eat cookie dough!! Cookie dough is seriously my favorite thing ever. Ever. I love it. Whoever had the idea to put cookie dough in ice cream is my hero.


Look at that funny little cow riding a bicycle.


One of my favorite things about 2nd Street Creamery is that they have a short story that goes along with each flavor. These stories are supposedly the inspiration for their flavors. If you have a story you want them to turn into a flavor submit it here!! The shorter version of the story printed on the pint is:

"Remember Grandma saying "NO!" when you tried to sneak a taste of cookie dough from her mixing bowl? No more sneaking...it's all right here in this ice cream."


The longer version of the story on their website is: "How many times have YOU heard Grandma tell you "No!" to eating cookie dough?? Well, I'm an adult, no, and she can't tell me no. So, for all the times I defiantly snuck a spoonful when her back was turned, we proudly present an ice cream that allows you that same feeling of "I know it's wrong but it feels so right!" We love you Grandma, but, this ice cream is so good, we are pretty sure even you would eat it, too. Go on with your bad self! You know you want to. And while you're at it...you don't even have to wait an hour to go jump in the pool, either. And don't get me started on running with scissors."

The darker sections are the swirl.

This story really speaks to me. Not because either of my grandmas tried to stop me from eating cookie dough or because I ever had to follow the old wives tale of waiting an hour after eating to go swimming. But more because of the clause, "Well, I'm an adult." If feels like they get me, like they get the real me. The 22-year old me that can barely remember to pay her utilities, who is sitting in her pajamas, surfing the web, watching tv, and texting at the same time, eating ice cream straight out of the pint, but still has to convince dozens of 9 to 12 year-olds each day, that yes I am a real adult and you should listen to and respect me. Yep I'm an "adult," riiiiight.

Well now that my quarter life crisis is over, lets get back to ice cream. The actual description of this flavor is Cookie Dough Flavored Ice Cream with Cookie Dough Swirl and Chunks of Chocolate and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

I'll start with the flavor base. Yep it tasted like cookie dough. And not just fake cookie dough, but like someone might have actually used ingredients your grandma uses to make this flavor. Like brown sugar and butter. Yum. Next the swirl. The swirl was prominent and chewy and amazing. It wasn't a liquid, but it also wasn't as hard as the cookie dough chunks. You should feel the brown sugar granules in the swirl as well.  Last but not least the chunks. The chocolate dough was very rich and chocolatey and tasted like cocoa powder. The chocolate chip cookie dough chunks had the same amazing butter and brown sugar taste as the base flavor and the swirl. The chips were very small, but big enough and frequent enough in those dough chunks to be noticeable.  The texture of the the chunks was soft, but not mushy, and very moist. They weren't the largest of chunks, but the with base flavor and swirl being cookie dough, you didn't need giant chunks in this ice cream. Another think about giant chunks of cookie dough, like in Ben & Jerry's flavors, is that they can be a bit dry. These chunks never had this problem. The texture of this ice cream was also great. It had a little bit of air and a little bit of pull to it, but was still very thick.

There is a chunk of the chocolate chip cookie dough on the left of the spoon and a chunk of the chocolate cookie dough on the right.


All in all, this ice cream was AMAZING. Life changing. Soooooo gooooood. It was sooo cookie doughy but also never overwhelming. You've got to go find this flavor now. Over winter break I am planning on making a "best of 2014" list for different categories; one category obviously being best ice cream of the year. This ice cream is very seriously in the running for the title. If I can try some more 2nd Street Creamery ice creams before 2014 is over, and they are as good as this one, this brand could be in the running for brand of the year. It was that good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd