2nd Street Creamery Black Hills Strawberry Rhubarb

Before I say anything else, let me say this is another hit from new-to-me brand 2nd Street Creamery.  Run, do not walk, to your nearest store and buy a pint.

I have strong memories associated with strawberry rhubarb pie.  I remember, when I was really little, my grandmother and father trying to convince me to try a piece of strawberry-rhubarb pie, and me refusing because, what were all those icky bits in there?  Then, when I was a bit older, I gave in and tried a piece, but picked out all the rhubarb and said, "I liked the pie except for that stuff."  I don't know what was wrong with me.  Strawberry rhubarb pie is, like, totes the bomb.  Nom.

This is described as

Strawberry ice cream with strawberries, rhubarb sauce, and pie crust pieces.

The longer description on the website reads

John, his wife and four daughters, trekked to the Black Hills of South Dakota for a family wedding.  At a point when John felt he needed an escape from the typical family hulabaloo, he set out with his brother and their wives on a day trip to hunt dinosaur bones in the summer sun of South Dakota.  The four of them came upon a fork in the road and decided to take the road less traveled.  They happened upon a little winery and quickly abandoned the pursuit of paleontology.  Little did they know, this winery's claim to fame was a "Red...*" Strawberry Rhubarb Wine," all bottled up and labeled with an image of a donkey that grabbed their attention.  Whether it was the warm sun, big skies, or drinking wine out of a plastic cup, that afternoon was one of the finest in John's memory.  John wanted us to create an ice cream that might capture the unexpected pleasure of that moment.  When we saw his big smile after he tried it, we knew we nailed it.  John highly recommends you eat this ice cream out of a plastic cup.



I can hardly contain my excitement because I want to tell you about all of the things that ROCKED about this ice cream, but I will contain myself and tell you about the things that were just ok about this ice cream.  The strawberry base was good, but nothing spectacular.  The strawberry chunks were much larger than usual, but were a little too hard.  I like a juicy, chewy fruit chunk in my ice cream.

Now for the amazing.  Oh my god the rhubarb sauce was so good.  It was so thick and so gooey and so potently rhubarb-tasting.  I think it was so thick and gooey that if you squeezed a glob of it between your thumb and index finger and then slowly pulled you fingers apart that you would create a thick runner of the stuff similar to the melted pizza cheese effect or the hot chocolate chip cookie effect.  Oh I just want to sit down with an entire jar of this stuff.

You can see the pie crust flakes.  I repeat,  YOU CAN SEE THE PIE CRUST FLAKES.

Also, the pie crust chunks were hands down the best I have ever had.  Normally pie crust chunks tend to be pretty bland, but these were buttery and delicious and tasted like a homemade pie crust.  Also they were flaky.  Yes, you read that right, they were flaky.  FLAKY.  It was the perfect flaky pie crust, in miniature in my ice cream.  I died.

Comments

  1. Oh. My. God. Must have some. Don't think I've seen that brand in my grocery store, though. I'll have to see if I can find some in the Lou.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd