I Went to the Minnesota State Fair!

Kyle and I went to the Minnesota state fair on the Sunday before Labor Day.  Guys, the Minnesota State Fair is, like, a Big Fucking Deal.

Since it was Labor Day Weekend and the last few days of the fair there were so, so many people there, and nobody was following any discernible traffic patterns.  Everybody just walking wherever whenever.  It  was a little hard to maneuver around and was honestly a little bit stressful.

Eet ees huuuuge!

The first thing Kyle and I decided to try was a funnel cake ice cream sundae.  We chose the strawberry cheesecake flavor which had vanilla soft serve on top of a funnel cake topped with strawberry syrup, cream cheese icing and whipped cream.  There was nothing highbrow or pretentious about this dish, it was just a lot of fried, sugary, delicious calories packed onto one plate.  They gave you a spoon to eat this with, but we would have been better served with a knife and fork because of the gooeyness of the funnel cake.  I feel like there not really much more to be said for this than it was a typical yet delicious state fair foray into the early stages of Type II Diabetes.



I was most excited to try the Izzy’s Ice Cream flavor Jello Salad.  How much more Midwestern can you get than jello salad ice cream?  The answer is none.  None more midwestern.  I saw somewhere, and I think it was a Star Tribune article that this ice cream was swirls of lime, cranberry, and marshmallow in a sweet cream base.  The lime flavor was the most prominent and really did remind me of lime jelly as opposed to an actual lime.  Win!  There were big chunks of cranberry, mimicking the fruit chunks in a real jello salad.  I couldn’t really taste the marshmallow swirl, but wasn’t really looking for it either.  Perhaps a second scoop of Jello Salad is in my future.  I was quite happy with another whimsical and well executed Izzy’s flavor.  Izzy’s serves up ice cream at the Hamline Church Dining Hall, the oldest dining hall at the state fair.



If I had unlimited time, money, and patience there were so many things I would have tried.  I heard rumor (again from a Star Tribune article) of craft beer gelato, caramel granny apple ice cream, and locally made Strawberry Rhubarb ice cream bars by a brand named Johnny’s which is now on my ‘must check out list.’
Kyle did a bunch of pull-ups and won a poster.


Comments

  1. I am currently pretty concerned. Are you dead???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let the army see Kyle doing pull ups. They'll want him back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not dead, I just don't have internet at home yet! Or do you mean from excessive ice cream consumption?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strawberry Rhubarb ice cream bars. Must have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in the next few days here I'll post a review of strawberry rhubarb ice cream that I found at a gas station of all places!

      Delete
  5. I was worried you were dead from all the sugar intake. Or maybe that you went blind or lost a limb from diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, that was a very real danger. There were several instances where I feared for my life, but I managed to pull through with life and limb intact.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd