Talenti Sicilian Pistachio

I feel like pistachio is a classic yet controversial ice cream flavor.  You either love it or you hate it.  I, for one, stand firmly in the pro-pistachio camp; however, this was not always the case.  I've always liked pistachios and I have fond memories of devouring monstrously large bags of the nuts with my sister and cousins, but for some reason, until recently, I did not like pistachio ice cream.  I think it was maybe one of those things that you think you don't like, but have never actually tried, and once you've tried it wish you had tried it years ago.



From Talenti's website:

Talenti makes this gelato classic with with whole, fresh roasted pistachio nuggets and homemade pistachio butter, lightly blended together with fresh gelato to create this all natural flavor.

The first thing that struck me about this pint of gelato was the color.  It was the most lovely yellowy-green spring green maybe a shade or two lighter than the flesh of a pistachio.  It made me want to love the flavor, and I was expecting to whole-heartedly love this flavor ... but I didn't.  I liked it.  I just didn't love it.



When I first opened this pint, I was anticipating the velvety gelato I have come to expect from Talenti, but my heart sank when I saw ice crystals on the gelato after I unscrewed the lid.  This hadn't been sitting in my freezer for very long, so ice crystals were a bad sign.  The texture was ok, but it wasn't quite as smooth or creamy as it could be.

The flavor was a little too mild for my taste.  I wanted this to be unapologetically, unabashedly pistachio flavored, and it wasn't.  It could have done with more pistachio and less sugar.

I do give props to Talenti for including chunks of actual pistachio nuts in this gelato.  This is a rare thing that other pistachio ice creams and gelato could definitely benefit from.

Such nuts.  Wow.

I can't, off the top of my head, think of a better pistachio ice cream or gelato I have had in the past.  While the Talenti is good, I think there is better out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd