Haagen Dazs: Butter Pecan

You would think after this long of being an ice cream blogger I would have figured out how to spell Haagen Dazs. But for some reason I always want to put the "s" before the "z" in Dazs. I just need to get it together. But then again, up to this point I have only reviewed 2 Haagen Dazs flavor, their Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor and their Cappuccino Gelato. I really haven't been dedicating enough space on this blog to Haagen Dazs for what they in reality deserve. So I'm fixing that. Madeline beat me to the punch on reviewing someone my favorite Haagen Dazs flavors, such as White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, Caramel Cone, Midnight Cookies, and Peppermint Bark (not that I won't review those flavors another time).

Butter Pecan is a totally traditional ice cream flavor and most brands have some version of this flavor in their ice cream lines. However, I legitimately do not think I have tried this ice cream flavor by any brand. I feel like I have probably thought that Butter Pecan ice cream is too boring for me. But this blog is really an opportunity to try new things; expand The Haagen Dazs selection at Gerbe's is pretty limited, the only flavors they had there that we have not reviewed were Vanilla and Butter Pecan, so I went with the latter.

After having some pecan pie over Thanksgiving, the Jeni's Whiskey & Pecans flavor, and now this, I will officially say I am on a pecan kick. Pecans are a really underrated nut. I like pecans a lot.

The description of this flavor is: A classic combination of buttery, roasted pecans and pure, sweetened cream.

However, the ingredients list reveal that this flavor is made with a vanilla base, not just a sweetened cream. That kind of disappointed me. The vanilla flavor of the base was also distinct. This was definitely vanilla ice cream, not sweetened cream. A plain sweetened cream base would have made the flavor of the pecans be the main flavor. As I discussed in my review of Jeni's Whiskey & Pecans, pecans are a really subtle flavor, and easily covered over by other flavors. The vanilla didn't quite do this, but it almost did. What it did do was cover over most of the flavor of the butter in butter pecan. The butter flavor was there, but I wouldn't describe this ice cream as buttery, and I really wanted it to be buttery. Granted, if there wasn't false advertising, leading me to believe the base would be sweetened cream, I would really mind the vanilla base. It was really good.



There were also just the perfect amount of pecans. Slightly more than the Jeni's pint. You could get 1-2 pecans per medium sized bite. But never a bit without pecans, unless you were trying.



The texture of this ice cream was really good. Pretty airless, but still soft. Your spoon will cut through it cleanly, without any pull. But it wasn't so dense or rich that it was overwhelming. Just perfect enough for me to sit down and eat an entire pint at once. Again. Guys srsly plz don't judge. I was really hungry and I hadn't eaten enough that day. I think. Whatever.

Overall, this ice cream was definitely good, and I would buy it again. Since this is the first butter pecan ice cream I have ever had, and I really have no comparison, I want to let you know what some one else thought of it. The bloggers of On Second Scoop said "this is the gold standard when it comes to butter pecan ice cream." However, I really want to believe there is a better butter pecan ice cream out there. This ice cream was really great, but it didn't knock my socks off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd