Cedar Crest Black Cherry

After thoroughly enjoying Cedar Crest's Chocolate Malt flavor, I decided to check out another flavor.  This time I went for something fruity, to really get an idea of the range of their flavors.

I think black cherry is a new ice cream flavor for me.  When I was in the store buying it I thought, "Black Cherry will be a good flavor, I can compare it to the other black cherry ice creams I've had."  Wrong.  I've had black raspberry ice cream, but as soon as I took my first bite of this bad boy I realized I'd never had black cherry.



This ice cream was a lovely purple/red color with whole black cherries amply scattered throughout.  The cherries themselves were yummy and weren't frozen all the way through, so they offered a nice, chewy variation from the texture of the ice cream base.  This ice cream, and I think black cherries in general, have a much darker flavor than Bing cherries, the type most commonly sold in grocery stores.



During my first bowlful, I noticed a flavor that I was having a lot of trouble identifying.  The next day, I decided to look up black cherries on Wikipedia.  Among the many interesting things I learned is that the wood from black cherry trees is the coveted cherry tree wood used to make furniture!  Who knew.  Wikipedia described the scent of the tree as having a slightly almond smell, and that's when I recognized the flavor I was having trouble identifying.  In addition to the fruity flavor, this ice cream had a hint of amaretto flavor.  Yum!

I didn't love the texture of this as much as I loved the texture of the Chocolate Malt flavor.  It was denser and not as fluffy.  This may not be the fault of the ice cream, as I haven't yet found the perfect temperature setting for my new freezer and I might still have it too cold.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd