Ben and Jerry's Phish Food

I know, I know, I know. This blog has existed for like 6 months or so and neither Madeline nor I have reviewed Phish Food. It's really just craziness. We are both HUGE Ben & Jerry's fans and Phish Food is like THE most recognizable Ben & Jerry's flavor. It was the first Ben & Jerry's flavor I ever tried! It's kind of ridiculous that we haven't reviewed it yet. But here I go.

What I really think is more ridiculous is that until writing this post I have never listened to the band Phish. I apologize for that one, too. Although, I don't believe it is entirely my fault. I'm gonna blame my parents for that one, too. You guys lived in Burlington, Vermont in the 1980s. How did you not have Madeline and I listen to Phish growing up?!?! Right now I am listening to their album Billy Breathes, released in 1996, the year before Phish Food became a flavor.  I'm digging it. It's pretty groovy.



Phish Food is described as Chocolate Ice Cream with Gooey Marshmallow Swirls, Caramel Swirls, & Fudge Fish.

Phish is described as "an American rock band noted for their musical improvisation, extended jams, blending of musical genres, and dedicated fan base" (from wiki).

Srsly, just look at that marshmallow.


If one were to equate music with ice cream, I'm gonna say the dedicated fan base are the fudge fish, the caramel swirls are the extended jams, and marshmallow swirls are the musical improvisation, and the chocolate ice cream is the blending of musical genres.

Fudge fish. The only type of fish this vegetarian will eat.


Chocolate is the most dominant flavor in this ice cream, creating a solid base flavor, that the marshmallow and caramel sit on top of. The marshmallow is a little more prominent in volume of swirl and how much you can taste it compared to caramel. The press release announcing this new flavor back in 1997 said, "Most marshmallow variegates disappear into nothingness. You can see the white streaks, but you can't taste them, you can't feel them, you can't experience the true glorious marshmallowness of it all" (source). Ben & Jerry and Phish wanted to change that, and they sure did. As a true marshmallow fan, my complaint about most ice creams that boast marshmallow is that they aren't marshmallowey enough. But the Phish Food marshmallow swirl is soo gooey and delicious, just like marshmallow fluff, but slightly more liquidy. The caramel swirl isn't as prominent, but it pairs really nicely with the marshmallow swirl. I'm admittedly not a huge caramel fan, but caramel is really amazing with marshmallow. I would say in general, marshmallow and caramel is an underused combination in the ice cream world, which is a shame. Last but not least, the fudge fish add nice textural variety and are really rich.  They aren't too crunchy or squishy, and just the right amount of fudgey. Overall, it doesn't surprise me that this has been one of Ben & Jerry's most popular flavors for 17 years. It's truly amamamamazing. And every time you buy a pint, money goes to environmental efforts in Vermont's Lake Champlain Watershed. You can't get much more quintessential B&J that crazy over the top flavors, groovy music, and environmental causes!

I also officially like the band Phish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd