Haagen-Dazs Decadent Collection Banana Peanut Butter Chip (NEW!)

Banana Peanut Butter Chip is the second flavor out of three I've tried from Haagen-Dazs' new Decadent Collection. I enjoy a good banana ice cream, but despise a bad banana ice cream. I loved Honey Salted Caramel Almond from the Decadent Collection, so I had high hopes that Haagen-Dazs would execute banana ice cream well.


This flavor is a banana ice cream base with peanut butter swirls and dark chocolate chips. Somewhat surprisingly, the best banana ice cream base I've ever tried was in Great Value's (Wal-Mart Brand) Banana Puddin'. Haagen-Dazs nearly lived up to this base. Like Great Value, they use banana puree rather than artificial banana flavoring which avoids the sickly-sweet fake banana taste. I could have done with a slightly less sweet and slightly stronger banana flavor here, but the base was generally enjoyable.


I was first introduced to Haagen-Dazs' peanut butter swirl in their Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor which I think is one of the best chocolate & peanut butter combos out there. The peanut butter swirl here was the same. It is thick and more salty than sweet. The swirl freezes very hard, so it is best to let this ice cream temper for a few minutes before you try to scoop.


The chocolate chips were fairly dark and added a nice depth to the flavor profile. The chips were small-ish and very crunchy and well-distributed throughout the pint.

I rate this šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4. While each element was individually good, it sometimes seemed like they were working against rather than with each other. I think a stronger banana base would have tied everything together a bit better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd