Ben and Jerry's Chillin' the Roast (NEW!)

I finally have a review of Chillin' the Roast, the last of the three new Truffles flavors from Ben and Jerry's. Chillin' the Roast is cold brew coffee ice cream with chocolate cookie-covered coffee liqueur truffles and fudge swirls.

Before I get to the review I just have to ask WHAT is up with the name of this flavor? Is it supposed to be a pun on something? A pun on what? Ruling the roost? Chillin' for cold brew? I don't get it.



Chillin' the Roast suffers from the same shortcomings as Chocolate Shake It and Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake. In all three flavors the base is great, the mix-ins are great, and the truffles are just weird. The cheesecake base of Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake is far beyond the base in Ben and Jerry's other cheesecake flavors. The chocolate malt base of Chocolate Shake It could have a stronger malt flavor, but is still tasty and unique within Ben and Jerry's line up. The cold brew coffee base of Chillin' the Roast is FUCKING FANTASTIC. I'm being completely serious when I say that it's among the best coffee ice cream bases I've ever tried. Alas, in all three flavors, the truffles had a strange oily texture and the flavors would have been better off without them.

Look at those coffee bean flecks!

Cold Brew coffee is basically coarsely ground coffee beans and cold water left to steep for a long time, usually overnight. It creates a strong, concentrated coffee that you dilute with water to your desired strength. It is typically full-bodied, rich and less acidic than traditionally hot-brewed coffee. All of this is wonderfully reflected in Ben and Jerry's cold brew base. The coffee flavor is seriously strong - non coffee lovers stay away! It tastes like a cup of coffee with a hint of milk and sugar added rather than coffee added to ice cream.


The fudge swirls were dark and rich. They weren't too frequent throughout the pint, but this let the bold base show off. When you did get a swirl, it gave the flavor an added richness.

Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy the truffles. The coffee liqueur flavor came across as very chemicall-y to me. I think the idea of a coffee liqueur was great, and executed differently it would have added an interesting sharpness to contrast the otherwise very rich flavor. As in the other flavors, the truffles had a slightly oily texture which is not particularly enjoyable to eat.

I'm rating this šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4. I enjoyed the base so much that it made the heinous truffles less of an issue for me.

Comments

  1. I agree on the truffles feeling out of place. I also wasn't crazy about the ice cream base being full of coffee grinds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd