Sweet Me Creamery Apple Pie (NEW!)

So far I've tried three out of seven of Sweet Me's new-for-2018 flavors, Red Velvet, Lemon Bar, and Apple Pie. I have to say I think this is overall my favorite new collection of 2018. Haagen-Dazs has some individually great flavors like Honey Salted Caramel Almond, but the quality across their new releases just isn't there. One of my friends told me he was disappointed with Sweet Me's new Sea Salt Chocolate, so we'll see if my opinion changes as I eat my way through the rest of this year's new releases.

Sweet Me Creamery Apple Pie is Cinnamon ice cream swirled with spiced apples, a cinnamon graham cracker swirl and pie crust pieces.



As with Lemon Bar, the base was phenomenal. Although just a premium ice cream, it feels like a super premium ice cream. (Super premium ice creams have a lower overrun, and therefore a denser and creamier texture, as well as a higher butterfat percentage.) The base is heavy, creamy, and thick, and the natural dairy flavors are nicely complemented rather than hidden by a warm but pure cinnamon flavor.


The spiced apple pieces were delicious, but they were very small and not very frequent. I do, however, give Sweet Me credit for including apples at all. Just as pumpkin pie flavors often rely on a spice blend that evokes pumpkin pie, many apple pie flavors rely on a cinnamon-heavy spice blend that evokes apple pie. Also, many fruit mix-ins turn out dry and flavorless (think strawberries in sub-par strawberry ice cream). The few apple pieces there were were juicy and flavorful. Give me more!

The pie crust pieces were larger and more frequent. They were flaky and dense without being dry.


The cinnamon graham cracker swirl was a stand-out in this already great flavor. The slightly bready flavor from the graham crackers was a nice counterpoint to the base, but at the same time added an extra pop of cinnamon flavor. The swirl was thick and prominent throughout the pint.

I spent a long time thinking about what I wanted to rate this flavor. I couldn't decide between 3.5 or 4 cones. I think in the end, I have to give it šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4 for taunting me with delicious apples.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd