Original Klondike Bar

Minneapolis (and I'm guessing the greater midwest) is still stuck in the doldrums of late summer ice cream. I've tried all of the new summer flavors, and the fall flavors haven't quite hit shelves yet. I was standing in front of the ice cream freezer fuming about not finding anything I wanted to try and caught sight of a Klondike advertisement with a challenge to try all 14 flavors. You know what, I have nothing better to do, so I'm taking on the challenge starting, of course, with the Original Klondike bar,  a hunk of creamy vanilla ice cream covered in a thick, chocolately shell. It's simple, classic perfection - the best thing to happen to ice cream since, um, the invention of the ice cream.

OG Klondike

I haven't had a Klondike bar in years. Eating them used to stress me out. The shell would break, the ice cream would be everywhere, and it would be a huge mess. Somehow I translated my dislike of mess into a perceived dislike of the bars themselves, and I don't know if I'll even forgive myself for it. Klondike Bars are way better than I remember!

Brick o' ice cream

The vanilla ice cream is nothing exceptional, but I think it's there more to provide sweetness than to provide any sort of vanilla flavor. It has a light, fluffy texture that complements the crunch of the chocolate shell.


The shell is just as difficult to eat as I remember, but actually has a quite nice and nuanced chocolate flavor.  The chocolate is a velvety milk chocolate that's not overly sweet, but it also has a hint of something darker and woodier - coffee perhaps? The ingredient lists chocolate liquor above cocoa, so maybe the that's giving it the added depth of flavor, but I could swear I'm tasting something that's specifically not chocolate.

It's hard to rate a classic, but I'm an ice cream blogger, after all, so I'll suck it up and rate Original Klondike Bars šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4. (Not gonna lie, part of the reason it gets this precisely average rating is so there is room for comparison on either side for the other flavors). The shell is much tastier than I remembered, the ice cream is meh, and it's still a bit stressful to eat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd